Creek Boat Seat Position Help? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-10-2011   #1

Provo, Utah
Creek Boat Seat Position Help?

So I just got a Villain S and I am trying to figure out the seat position. I am 6 ft 2 in, size 11 shoe, 34 inseam, and about 155 lbs. From what I understand some boats perform better when the seat is all the way forward and some perform better when the seat is all the way back. I am just looking for some general knowledge and advice on finding the sweet spot for the seat and trim in the Villain S.

What are the pros and cons of having the seat forward or backward of the center line?
How should I go about getting the seat in the right spot to get the best performance out of the boat?
What will it feel like when I am at the right trim to get the best performance from the boat?

Thanks!

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Afaust

The information I have received, by some credible “Team Boaters”, has consistently been this.

Place your boat on a flat hard surface then slide a broom handle, or a wooden dowel, underneath your boat. Then while sitting in your boat, there are 3 main sitting positions, Aggressive (leaning slightly forward), Neutral (sitting straight up) and Defensive (leaning back). The boat is properly ‘trimmed’ if you’re in the Aggressive position (slightly leaning forward) and your boat is perfectly balanced on the dowel, front to back, and the dowel is directly below your belly button. Then if you lean further forward your boat tips forward on the dowel and if you sit straight up your boat tips back on the dowel. This can be difficult to perfectly achieve but having an extra set of hands to help balance makes things easier. The final test would be when forward paddling in flat water, while in the Aggressive position (leaning slightly forward) your boat should be balanced front to back, then if you lean further forward the nose of your boat should dip down slightly and if you sit straight up you should see the nose of your boat pull up. The goal is while in the Aggressive position (leaning slightly forward) and this should be your normal paddling position, the boat should be balanced "trimmed" front to back on an axis directly below your belly button.

Hope this helps and IF your wife walks in while your sitting in your boat while on top of the kitchen table and a broom handle sticking out from underneath, don't take it personal if she rolls her eyes and walks out of the room, I promise you'll laugh together about it soon.

Lenny.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #3

Don't own one, but have it from very reliable source that the Villain S performs noticebly with the seat back of center
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011   #4

Meant to say noticably better
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #5

Golden, Colorado
I'd start with the seat in the middle. Paddle something a notch below your abilities but tough enough to put some forces on the boat. Bring tools with you and tell your buddies to be prepared to sit in an eddy while you mess with your boat. Tune it on the river.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
First thing I would go is sit in the boat, see how your knees fit into the knee bumps and adjust the seat until you feel like you have the optimum fit for you legs in the knee bumps. The knee bumps don't move, like many thigh braces, and the position of the seat will change how your legs fit into them.

I would go out and paddle the boat, and play around with seat position. The seat position should feel right when the boat seems to track well, and seems to spin and turn well like you are balanced bow to stern.

If the seat position is too far back or forward, tracking will degrade, and the boat will not turn as easily.

When you hit the sweet spot, you will feel it. Most folks seem to have the boat either at the center spot where it comes from the factory, or a little back. I suspect that due to your height you will be further back. The villain isn't a boat that you have to put the seat all the way forward.

I'd suggest looking at the jackson website as they have some outfitting videos that might help.

Also, you will want to tighten the nuts holding the seat to the sides of the boat and the clamps after each use the first couple of times out. Your movement in the boat can loosen up the seat attachments and allow the seat to slide a bit.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote