Creek Boat Advice Please! - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2010   #1
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Creek Boat Advice Please!

Hi,
I am looking to get a new creek boat and can't decide on what to get. I am interested in 3 boats, the Jefe Grande, Mega Rocker, and Habitat 80. I paddled a Diesel as my river runner last, and was mixed in my feelings toward that. I want a boat that is easy to roll, as I sometimes struggle with that when I am not in a boat I have dialed in, and I want to feel comfortable resurfacing on creeks in it. Oh yeah, I also want a boat that punches holes, cause getting chundered in them is no fun! Any advice would be great, thanks!

b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Not to be a jerk but if you have trouble rolling (any boat) are you sure you should be on creeks? My first advice is to improve your roll...I've always thought if you have a strong roll /the ability to go creekin you should be able to roll any boat...So after you fix the roll the usual answer applies: Demo Demo Demo.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #3
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
I should have rephrased that a bit. I paddle class IV+ and haven't ever swam on it yet, so my roll is good. I want a boat that I am confident in rolling though, not one where I have to worry because it is harder to roll than my playboat, if that makes sense. I demo's the mega rocker and the Grande, but I was just wanting some more advice before I buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010   #4

B.F.E., Wyoming
I love the Grande, it cruises over everything, its fairly easy to boof, and rolling it feels second nature to me. The "chunky" edge is nice as you can still set it on edge and carve the boat but it isn't grabby like a sharper edged boat.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
I know what you are saying about boats that are hard to roll. I consider my roll good enough. I paddle V- and below. I can definitely tell the difference between a boat that is easy to roll and one that is not and I am not comfortable in a boat that is not super easy to roll.

It's not on your list but I'll be a fan for life of the Pyranha Burn. I haven't tried the new one yet but when my old one breaks I'm going to the shop the next day to buy their new one.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What is it about the Diesel you don't like? That would probably help direct your decision. I believe the Jefe falls into the category of harder to roll than a playboat. The Habitat is definitely a lot easier to roll. I've never paddled a Rocker. I agree with the above poster though. My approach to dealing with rolling with the Jefe was to improve my roll substantially and now I have complete confidence I can roll up in almost any situation. But then that wasn't the advice you were asking for... The other characteristics you talk about are ones that pretty much all the modern creek boats are designed for and how well they achieve that is often a matter of personal taste and opinion.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #7
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
the Burn is the boat I forgot, I have been meaning to try that one out, and I noticed that there is a relatively new one for sale in the gear swap. My main concern with the burn is that it is a planing hull and not a displacement. That is what I didn't like about the diesel, I felt like it was great on the primary stability, but secondary didnt feel great. Also, my legs were laid out pretty flat in the diesel, so I want a boat where my knee position is a little higher and wider than the diesel.

I am going to paddle the mega rocker again this afternoon, and I will see how that goes.
Old 03-20-2010   #8

I would highly suggest the BURN. If you want a boat that tracks in big water, punches holes - and stays on line while doing so, the burn cant be beat. Not hard to roll.
Old 03-20-2010   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Plus, if you are going to run Class IV rivers, and not just creeks, the Burn would be more fun. The Mega is a huge boat, and has a slippery hull. It's great for steep stuff, and creeks,but you may not have a blast in in it on Class IV runs. The Burn will be better for a 4x4 kayak river runner too....Check out the new one. It's got some changes that make it easier to roll. Nomad's a good creeker to look at too. Also, if you are bigger (looking at Mega) check out the Karnali Large. It's a fast river runner, that rolls really easily and can pretty much stomp anything in it's way. Not as edgy as the Burn, but not as loose at the Mega.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #10

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah now were getting a better description of what you like...like many I say demo the burn..I have 2 and they are my fave! I paddled the Jefe a bit on Pine creek and didn't have much of an issue but the Burn just tracks, punches etc all better.

I AM RUNNING THE UPPER GNARROWS on the Poudre Tuesday...Anybody with me?

If you want to demo mine your welcome too. Let me know and I'll bring my second one.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote