Creek Boat Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2011   #1

Summit County, and Idaho
Creek Boat Advice

I am putting my WS Fuse up for sale to move up to full-on creek boat.

Would like some input on what boat other buzzards are paddling and what you like/dislike about your boat.

I am looking at a Jackson or LL.

As a female paddler at 5'1" and around 110 lbs, I want the best boat/fit to help me enhance my skills.

Thanks!

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011   #2

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
For a full-on ceek boat and your size, the best boat would be a JK Punk Rocker. The boat is awesome for your size and larger. I even enjoy it. My wife and daughters all love theirs'.

If you feel you have to by new instead, I would caution that the Villain S will feel ro big for your size. Hoever, the Little Hero is worth checkin out. Other than that, there are no bad creek boat designs. Probably every company has a designs out that are excellent. You'll just need one that comes in a extra small version. Volume is nice, but having a boat that dominates you, rather than you it, is vital. Which brings me back to the Punk Rocker. The boat is truly great.

Cheers!

KV
Old 08-07-2011   #3

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
For a full-on ceek boat and your size, the best boat would be a JK Punk Rocker. The boat is awesome for your size and larger. I even enjoy it. My wife and daughters all love theirs'.

If you feel you have to by new instead, I would caution that the Villain S will feel ro big for your size. Hoever, the Little Hero is worth checkin out. Other than that, there are no bad creek boat designs. Probably every company has a designs out that are excellent. You'll just need one that comes in a extra small version. Volume is nice, but having a boat that dominates you, rather than you it, is vital. Which brings me back to the Punk Rocker. The boat is truly great.

Cheers!

KV
This good advice, Find one that fits your needs and body type. Lots of choices out there; Small Solo, small Burn, Jefe Chico, Nomad 8.1, hero, and so on.
I paddle with a woman about your size and she loves her Punk Rocker; class 4/5, rivers/creeks, day runs and overnighting it does it all. Seems durable and fits her well. Can't ask for much more than that.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011   #4

Golden, Colorado
Check out the small Pyrahna Ammo. I paddle with a woman your size and she loves hers. She runs alot of stuff guys walk. I recently switched to a Pyrahna Burn and absolutely love it. Best creek boat I've ever been in. You would be on the low end of the weight range for a small burn. The Ammo will be similar but smaller and may fit you better. I agree with Ken, get a boat you drive, not one that drives you.

The Burn is super fast, carves into eddies, isn't hole bait and boofs easily due to it's speed. It feels like a sports car compared to the SUV feel of other creekboats. Unlike my last creekboat, I feel it makes me a better paddler by rewarding good paddling form and punishing bad form.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Prijon Pure Small love you long time.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
We have a very small ex-gymnast here who is probably about your size who just rocks the Small Burn (63g).

I have to second the "sports car" analogy on the burn. Super easy to fly, easy to roll, side surfs out of holes in a real hurry and gets up in 2 strokes. That said, you need to use your hips to get the best out of it, but when you do it feels so awesome. It's kind of like the way that a pair of Volkls feel if you are a skier - awesome when you are driving, not so good when you get in the back seat.

Another option if the Burn or Remix 59 aren't your thing is the Mini-Mystic. It's a full bore creek boat, brought in at 65 gallons.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #7

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
Don't be afraid to go bigger depending on what type of creeks you plan to run. I found that when I was in CO, paddling continuous manky stuff, I liked having a smaller boat (i.e. I fit into the "suggested weight range" for my boat). Out in OR, with steep more pool-drop type stuff, I like having a little more volume- too the point where I may not be in the "suggested" size range of my boat.

I guess I'm saying don't limit yourself to super-small boats just because you're a smaller paddler.

I'm also looking for a new creekboat currently- I'm thinking LL Jefe or Nomad. I'm personally not a fan of the Jackson Villian, I thought it was really hard to roll.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Anna - Pyranha has a new boat that might be interesting for you: Pyranha Mouldings - News

http://www.pyranha.com/images/news/shivai_ts.jpg
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #9

Summit County, and Idaho
Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the input.

I really do feel nervous about paddling a boat on the bigger size because of my build. Maybe thats just something I will need to get over. I really love the feeling of a small boat. Which is why I love a playboat. But I dont have the patience. I get bored and need to be on a new river all the time.

I do need something that is easy to roll. It really took me a long time to get a solid roll.

I think I will be doing more stuff without a huge pool drop. More continous manky stuff especially in early season. I will def get out and demo all and any I can.

Thanks a bunch!
~Michelle
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Unless you really need to the $, I would encourage you to keep the Fuse in your collection. Even people that mostly creek find opportunity to use a playboat for runs down the Ark, Westwater, etc. You really want to have both.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote