Creek boat advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2006   #1

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Creek boat advice

Man, I was all set to get the LL CR 125, and be happy running III+ - IV. But NOOO my paddling crew is getting all physced about creekin'. Now I have to look a getting a used CR125 and a used creek.

I'm 6'0" 140lbs. and this will be my first creek boat. Will likely be working slowly into the creek sceen so need something that I could use for big water as well, and possible wife boat.

I think the Jefe is too big, and have had a couple of people say it might be. Looking at Riot Mag, or LL Huck.

Any suggestions?

BTW Thanks alot Luke - why couldn't you be happy in your EZG, you're messing up my carefully laid plans with the wife.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006   #2

Sales
Send a message via MSN to Rushis Right
FCS eat something. I am the same height and don't think I could get under 160 without going to the hospital?
Old 08-28-2006   #3

Thornton, Colorado
I was a Div. 1 College Swimmer (8 years ago), was on a 10,000 calorie-a-day diet for 8 months. Didn't gain a pound, baffled the weight/nut. coaches.

Sandwiches don't help!!

B.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006   #4

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I wouldn't reccomend the Huck. It's not a bad boat but it hasn't maintained it's popularity like some other older creek boats. Unfortunately for you with your height your legs are only going to fit into boats designed for heavier people. I would check out a Dagger Nomad, Prijon Hercules, maybe an LL Gus. Good Luck!
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
You might go try out a Prijon Creeker 225- Lower volume (58 gallons), but surpisingly a lot of leg room. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam, and I could fit in that boat okay, considering. I didn't actually paddle it, so I can't speak personally to the performance. I did consider getting one for Front Range low volume mank.

The Nomad is a great design, though. I have an 8.5; you could probably fit an 8.1 (68 gallons). I'm of the opinion that more volume can't hurt, in most cases. As for a Huck- Depending on your inseam, I think you could probably fit - I borrowed one for a day out in Cali and was uncomfortable, but I got through a long day. BUT- for the money, I agree with Badkins that there are better designs these days.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I like the Jefe and am surprised you thought it was too big, but you do have some other options. The Jackson Rocker is a good boat but I'm not sure if it's any smaller than the Jefe. Ditto on recommending the Nomad; it's a great boat. The Pyranha Burn is a good boat for big water and creeking. Personally, I didn't like the Huck (slow and no primary stability at all) but that might have been because I'm too short for it. At 135, I felt a little light for the Huck, too. You might like the Necky Crux as a small creeker for someone your height, if you fit (admittedly I've heard mixed reviews of the Crux but I know tall people who like the fit). The Habitat looks sweet but you won't find it used.

COUNT
Old 08-30-2006   #7

Thornton, Colorado
Thanks to everyone for your comments, they have helped narrow the field a bunch.

B.C.
Old 08-30-2006   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
At 5'10 and 145 the Jefe is the shit!

SCott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006   #9

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Jackson is coming out with a smaller Rocker next year. Check out an Eskimo Salto for a boat that has held its popularity through the years and boats smaller than it looks. It also has some edges which is good for a guy coming from a playboat. I feel your pain as another tall skinny guy - especially in playboats. The jefe and burn also still have some time before the hype wears off and people decide if they really like the boats or not.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006   #10

Engineer
Check out the Salto

The Salto works well for medium to light weight people. My wife loves hers. It also has room for long legs.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote