creek boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2010   #1

cartersville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2010
creek boat?

hey guys,
earlier this year i asked what a good first boat would be. i got great response but have now changed what type of boating i want to do. i want to creekboat. im going to be going to the NOC summer camp to learn how to kayak and whitewater kayak and want to do creekboating because it seems funner to me. i was thinking maybee i can find a boat that i can do creekboating and river running thanks in advance!

jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010   #2
Likes it wet.

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Boats.

So here's the deal.

Don't throw in the towel on playboating just yet! You sound like a new boater with limited experience in the sport, so have an open mind to all disciplines of kayaking! I know creekboating looks awesome, but remember it takes lots of practice and dedication to start running even the most basic of rapids!

That being said, I would suggest looking for a river-running playboat or a river runner to start you off. I'm not sure how heavy or tall you are: let me know and I can make more accurate suggestions.

Here are a few newer options: Jackson Fun Series, Liquid Logic Remix Series, Wavesport Fuse Series.

Here are a few options from a few years back that may save you money: Liquid Logic Trigger, Little Joe, Or Hoss (again, dependent on your size.), Jackson Classic Fun Series, Wavesport EZG Series.

These aren't all of your options, but they are my top picks. And, remember, the specific size of boat in the kayak line will vary.

Hope this helps!
Mike
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #3

cartersville, Georgia
thanks man, im 5'7 and 155-160. i want to do all types but want to try creek boating to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010   #4

cartersville, Georgia
that jackson looks good, so does the ezg and i wont bankrupt my dad getting one of those.
Old 04-08-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Jim-Bob - Creekboating is a lot of fun (more fun than playboating, IMO, as you get to be a better boater. But there's something to be said for spending a season or two getting intentionally thrashed in your local playhole; learning to roll up in heavy water. That's going to make you a much better, and safer, creekboater. There have been many guys and gals that have jumped into paddling and tried to ramp up the difficulty levels too fast.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Agree with the guys above. Get a playworthy river runner and paddle a lot. You'll want the full displacement hull (Solo, Habitat, Jefe, Nomad) when you start running rocky, steep stuff; and I don't think I've met anyone that's been able to run class Vs safely the first one or two seasons.

Nice thing about river runners is that you can get some surfing and playing around and still run class IVs safely. (time for discussion about what type of runs to run on what types of boats, but I'm not that interested).

Suggestions I like:
Full river runners:
- Wavesport Diesel
- Liquidlogic Remix
Playfull riverrunners
- Jackson Fun (series)
- Fluid Spice

my 2c
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Good advice here. I think the most common progression in the sport is to start with an older playboat or river runner, cut your teeth running a lot of class III-IV-, and then sell the river runner and buy a creeker and a dedicated playboat. That's what I did, anyway, and it seemed to work out well.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #8

cartersville, Georgia
i think i am going to get the jackson fun. but when i say creek boating i dont mean huge class 5 stuff i mean like little drops and such.
Old 04-09-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
The fun is a great boat to start out with. For the most part, when we talk about creekboating, we're talking about the character of the river (and generally the boats). Creeks are generally smaller, shallower, and steeper. This doesn't necessarily translate to big drops. Take Clear Creek of the Ark for example. No drop over 4 feet or so (and that's just the big drop) but it's all shallow and fast water. You want to have a creekboat in that kind of water, since the hard edges of a playboat will hang up on the rocks, not to mention the small bow submerging on you and causing trouble. It rates a V- at most flows.

For the most part, you don't need a full-on creekboat until you step up to shallow class IV boating. With the right skills, you'll be fine in something like the fun on the Numbers, Royal Gorge, and probably even Slaughterhouse. At most flows, it's time to get into a creeker if you're looking to step up to runs like Gore, Bailey, Black Rock, etc.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #10

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
jim bob,

I'd encourage you to go with a used Wave Sport Diesel 65 and run as many different rivers or sections as often as you can. The 65 is one of the best SUV boats ever and high performance. You should be able to hone your skills and have a boat that is capable of class V and some creeking even.

However, as much as Wave Sport has had some of the best designs for many years (and still does), if you're going to throw down hard earned bucks to buy new right now, I'd say the new Jackson Villain S is the investment to make.

Enjoy!

k