Counterweighted Oars??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2011   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Counterweighted Oars???

I am going to be getting some new Cataract 10 foot rope wrapped oars. I want to use this oars for day trips and weeklong flat water trips (with my 1 foot Carlisle extenders). It is only $7 more an oar to get the internal counterweights. I know that these would be nice for the flat water, especially when adding the weight of the extenders, but would the counterweights be a problem on whitewater runs? Of course they will sink if they come out of my oarlocks, but I will probably use oar tethers until I get a little more proficient. Is there any other concern when using counterweighted oars?

Thanks for any info.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I am going to be getting some new Cataract 10 foot rope wrapped oars. I want to use this oars for day trips and weeklong flat water trips (with my 1 foot Carlisle extenders). It is only $7 more an oar to get the internal counterweights. I know that these would be nice for the flat water, especially when adding the weight of the extenders, but would the counterweights be a problem on whitewater runs? Of course they will sink if they come out of my oarlocks, but I will probably use oar tethers until I get a little more proficient. Is there any other concern when using counterweighted oars?

Thanks for any info.
For me they slow down the speed of my stroke both in and out of the water. And yes they do sink ( at least the external ones).

Won't use again.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
And when they sink, you risk them jamming into rocks on the bottom of the river (been there, done that). Just don't pop an oar or flip! I use them on the raft, but not on the cat since there's a MUCH higher chance of me flipping the cat. However now that I use posilockers instead of open oarlocks, maybe I should reconsider it. I really like them for ease on the arms, and don't share CD's sensation of slowing down a stroke (at least if the oars already "feel heavy" because of length).
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
been using the counterweights for several years now and love them. everything from a Aire 18 cat to a super puma. different length oar shafts of course.

just do the adjustments so the oars will drop towards the water but otherwise are very light. I use open oarlocks and have had zero issues.

only issue is if you do loose an oar, they are gone forever.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I guess I'm a pussy, because i love the counterweights. I have seen other people's sink and I know there are other safety concerns, but i run them on all 4 oars, along with tethers or leashes to prevent loss.

I've never felt they slow down the strokes, although it is obviously more weight to move through space.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I guess I'm a pussy also. I agree with everything Dave says here.
When I bought my Jag, used, a couple of years ago, it came with non-counterweighted Cataracts. I used them on one trip and quickly purchased some Sawyers with counterweights. Just like I run on my raft. I'm willing to risk losing them for the comfort and balance of the weighted oars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
I guess I'm a pussy, because i love the counterweights. I have seen other people's sink and I know there are other safety concerns, but i run them on all 4 oars, along with tethers or leashes to prevent loss.

I've never felt they slow down the strokes, although it is obviously more weight to move through space.
Old 02-01-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
this might sound stupid. Does anyone make a float for these? I'm thinking a foam ring to bring them back to neutral buoyancy.

I'm thinking some of that closed cell foam like a pool float could be put down the shaft to keep water from displacing the air in the oar. I know it takes some good force to submerge one of those pool float toys.

maybe simpler would be the insulating foam wrap you use for your heater pipes but I don't know if that is closed cell.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #8

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I use them also, on my main oars anyway. My spares don't have them.

I also always use oar tethers, no matter how good I think I am. The river is in charge of your fate and the fate of your oars, not you... LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Be a man. Go without counterweights. If you are strong enough to row, you're strong enough to hold your oar blades out of the water.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #10

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
counterweighted oars REALLY hurt when they whack you in the head.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote