Core Paddles, Easton Aluminum (Gear Talk) - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-10-2011   #1

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Core Paddles, Easton Aluminum (Gear Talk)

Easton Technical Products Inc. is the world's premier performance alloy tubing manufacturer. Famous for both producing high performance parts and backing them up with integrity. Easton was incorporated in 1953 and initially designed and developed high performance arrows for the archery industry. Over the years Easton developed a proprietary manufacturing process that allowed them to produce precision tubing from some of the toughest aluminum alloys available. Alloys that had previously been impossible to work into tubes were now routinely processed into tubing for various markets including sporting goods, military and aerospace.

For more information on this new CORE Paddle technology information...

CORE Easton

CORE Design

CORE Molding

CORE CAD / FEA / CAM

enjoy the information...

TMCK

Keep The Hairy Side Up....

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011   #2

Blarney, Iowa
These are interesting.

I'm curious to see how they test.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #3

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tried one in Gore Canyon last week. Had a touch more power to it than my double diamond, paddled very similar. 191 is more like a 194 of other brands. No real negatives in my opinion. Not sure how the shaft will compare to carbon over a season of paddling, if you get one let me know how it holds up long term.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011   #4

Golden, Colorado
Cool. I think bent shaft aluminum is overdue.

I'd come up with some different options on the grips if I were them. I don't like cylindrical grips because they are so easy to lose your key with when you are upside down... even with the bent shaft. I need to have a very eccentric elliptical cross section for the grips... like my ATs have.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
Cool. I think bent shaft aluminum is overdue.

I'd come up with some different options on the grips if I were them. I don't like cylindrical grips because they are so easy to lose your key with when you are upside down... even with the bent shaft. I need to have a very eccentric elliptical cross section for the grips... like my ATs have.

A lot of people get around that using electrical tape or some other sort of tape, the best thing I ever discovered was athletic tape for my paddle. I think it gives way better grip than paddle wax (especially when fresh) and also gives you the queue for your hands if they slip.

Will definitely try one of these paddles out as well as my Werner blade is slowly getting smaller...
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The grips look similar to the ones on the H2O, which have a very pronounced directionality.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #7

Blarney, Iowa
Just judging by the pictures, which may or may not be a good idea, the blade itself seems to have a very neutral design, unlike Werner blades, which have a different design based on surface area and type of paddling.

In that sense, I wonder a) how versatile these paddles are and b) what Werner or AT design they might be align with. (And, subsequently, if Werner's blade designs are mostly hype)

My guess: It almost looks like a Werner Twist.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think it's a pretty interesting paddle as well. The Waterstick was my first real paddle and I thought the blade was awesome except for the whole leaking water thing. If you check out the In Between Swims podcast that guy talks a bit about his blade design and why he thinks it's better than the standard, say Werner, shape.

I've probably got a year or two more on my Werner though so I guess I'll let other people do the product testing (unless I can find that one lost on the Poudre). I'm worried about it feeling too stiff (like carbon) - don't like that feel personally and seems harder on the joints.

As for the grips, I can't claim to have ever made much use of indexing while upside down- guess I don't have the presence of mind. I tend to just try and roll with the blade in whatever position I've grabbed it and adjust accordingly if it didn't work. However, I actually love waxing my paddle. Sometimes when I'm scared above a drop I smell the sex wax on my paddle and it takes me back to the comfort of my mother's womb.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #9

I have paddled one a few days now, everything from bailey to the upper c. I really like the blade shape, has about as much power as my woody and I notice no flutter. Blade seems to really slice into position better than a wood or AT. The grips seem to have enough shape to work well. I would second CP's length statement, I was paddling a 197 and it felt a bit long, and thats what i normally paddle. There isn't much flex for better or worse(not as stiff as a normal AT but way stiffer than a AT flexy). My shoulders and elbows feel better after 15 miles with my woody, but I am a wuss.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #10

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9
The grips look similar to the ones on the H2O, which have a very pronounced directionality.
I'm hoping the large grips will feel better than the H2O's. They just seemed too small. I've been using an AT2 SL for the last few years and love it. I just hate worrying about breaking it.
RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum