Coolers - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2010   #1

Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1980
Coolers

I'm looking at a number of coolers for my raft & cat; Igloo Marine 128QT, Yeti Sherpa 145QT, Yeti Tundra120QT. Need something 42" to 38" long to fit between the tubes. Leaning towards the Igloo because of cost. Are they still good coolers or is what I'm hearing about a decline in quality true?

h2ocst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You might as well ask about pins & clips vs oarlocks! People who have the expensive coolers love them. We have an igloo and it works great. I've not heard of a decline in quality. I wouldn't get one through a box store though, those are usually special runs and often not up to the normal spec.

Most people with the expensive coolers really like not having to pre-cool the cooler and not having to worry about how many times you open it on a hot trip. If you have the money and no other gear to buy..... Those coolers are also usually quite a bit taller, so check dimensions for your rigging.
Old 09-24-2010   #3

Louisville, Colorado
Plenty of threads if you search "coolers", with plenty of opinions. We have a big cheap cooler and spendy cooler. They both serve the purpose. Spendy cooler seals beautifully, keeps things frozen longer. Cheap cooler was inexpensive, lets in/out water, but also holds a 5 gallon keg with ease. Yes there are major differences. Think about the kind of trip you want to do, how long you want to keep food/ice, and how much you want to spend. It is totally possible to do multi day river trips without a cooler, but then your cocktails aren't as cold.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
The old technology works fine. You can beef it up as needed. I outfitted my Igloo with weather stipping around the lid and a reflectix liner inside for our 16-day Aug Grand trip this year. Covered it with wet burlap and didn't open it till below horn. We had ice for cocktail the night before taking out at DC. Save your $ for a bimini
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Others will say bad things, but I love my Galaxys. Cold for weeks is no joke. Two weeks on 50lbs of ice is an easy ask for my 165. Even the little 15qt has held ice for a week and a half.

Galaxy Coolers
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
Others will say bad things, but I love my Galaxys. Cold for weeks is no joke. Two weeks on 50lbs of ice is an easy ask for my 165. Even the little 15qt has held ice for a week and a half.

Galaxy Coolers
Just beware of Galaxy. I ordered and paid for a cooler about 10 months ago. I have never received the cooler. I been offered a refund and that has never happened and at this time, I'm feeling like I was screwed without a kiss.

Marty, are you out there? Every time a cooler thread comes up, I get pissed!!!!

Give me a refund or send me the cooler I ordered.
Old 09-24-2010   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Of course the biggest and most expensive is the obvious choice. You'll forget how much it cost after a few COLD cocktails. If you can get a great deal, however, you will remember it forever. I was lucky enough to find a used Galaxy cooler with no concern of a warranty. I haven't had a single complaint. It keeps ice forever. It has skids on the bottom. The drain hole is threaded. Vinyl tubing covers the handles. I installed an LED light inside that comes on when you open the lid. It is pretty. It never talks back. It does everything I ask of it. I sleep on it.........
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey Funrivers,
Tell me more about the weather stripping & Reflectix liner for your Igloo. I'd like to do this with my Igloo Marine Elite cooler. I noticed that the Marine Elite 128 now comes with a gasket seal on the lid, but no gasket seal on the 95 Qt. What kind & thickness of weather strip, what kind of glue to hold it on, and how did you make your Refectix liner.
Thanks
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #9

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
KJ,

I used 3/8 wide x 1/4 thick self stick rubber weather seal from home despot It takes a little while to compress, so I strapped the lid down--don't have to do that any more. Don't cut it, just bend it around the corners. It sticks real well--re-did the lid of my drybox with it too.
Reflectix (Ace hardware)--measured the inside dimensions and cut the reflectix (double bottom and tops) and used that silver foil tape to put it together. Don't forget to cut a small hole in the bottom for the spoog to drain.

MS
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Funrivers, I'll give these ideas a try. The Igloo cooler gives me the most carry capacity for my Cat frame set-up over the more expensive coolers so anything I can do to boost efficiency will be great.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote