Cooler widths - Craporadon need not read this, no beer for you! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 01-14-2011   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Cooler widths - Craporadon need not read this, no beer for you!

I'm looking at the 120 qt Yeti Tundra, lower width = 39.5 inches. ID between my raft tubes (14 ft Vangaurd) = 39 inches. Seems like a great fit. Any reason not to go with a cooler that fits this snug?

Again - I reiterate, this post need not concern craporadon, nor will beer from this cooler ever be available to him. While these coolers may be grizzly proof, will it really keep a kayaker out?

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Mountain Buzz - Search Forums
Old 01-15-2011   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've got the 120 in my 72" Nrs cat frame. I can get you better measurements if you need. The drain plugs might stick out or you might have problems opening them in the boat and keep in mind after some portages you might want to smooth down any rough edges.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011   #4

Agree with yeti, rather than take the time to call out craporadon, click search. Just what rafterbuzz needs another thread about coolers.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #5

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Slamkal,
I would be interested in some more measurements; I have the same frame and am considering the 120 but was worried about the width.

Thanks.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
This was more of a test post than anything to see how people would respond- but I was interested in this specific model cooler and raft and wanted to see if anyone had run the same rig. If you don't want to read about coolers, then don't click on the gear tab and open up a forum topic on coolers. I guess from now on everybody on the buzz should thoroughly research every single post to make sure they are not duplicating anything that has been asked in the last decade- so sorry for wasting Nathan and Yeti's time.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #7
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Before making a post to search the forums you should really do a search to see how many posts there have already been asking people to search the damn forums. Geez!
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #8

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Slamkal,
I would be interested in some more measurements; I have the same frame and am considering the 120 but was worried about the width.

Thanks.
width is not an issue if you are talking about the roughly 40" inside the frame rails. You can even see in the pic it does not interfere with the lowpro of the yokes.

a couple of things. the drop cooler mount doesn't really fit the mold of the cooler right you can see in one of the pics there is a slight gap in the middle of the long cooler drop. (you can also see where the aluminum winds up leaving a mark on the cooler)

the other issue is the top of the cooler is so deep that it pretty much blocks you from putting anything tall next to it (like another drybox, etc) because you will have a hard time opening the cooler and the lids will interfere. NRS or yeti should make some sort shim solution for this but I don't think they do. what I'm thinking is a piece of rotomolded plastic that goes against the crossbar, has a flat edge, and uses two ubolts to secure it to the crossbar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	3142   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	3143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	3144   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	3145  

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
If you don't want to read about coolers, then don't click on the gear tab and open up a forum topic on coolers. I guess from now on everybody on the buzz should thoroughly research every single post to make sure they are not duplicating anything that has been asked in the last decade- so sorry for wasting Nathan and Yeti's time.
Just to clarify, I was never near the gear talk forum; this and all the other new posts in every forum are there on the front portal. And for you to publicly call out someone who has already contributed way more meaningful info than you could ever hope to, just because you're too lazy to use the search bar like the rest of us is downright tacky. There's a reason all the past content on here is saved, rather than deleting it all every few pages like boof.com. Its the same reason the search bar is there in fhe 1st place.
Old 01-15-2011   #10

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
He has a point - the title says right in it that it's another cooler thread, so why read it if you're tired of them? Who cares if he searched or not, just ignore it! I ignore kayak threads, it's really not that hard.

However, I think that point has already been raised many times, and I agree posting just to test people and to call people out is tacky.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer