Converting from pins/clips to oarlocks - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-28-2009   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Converting from pins/clips to oarlocks

I need a bit of advice. From overall searching here sounds like I should go for the Sawyer Cobra Deluxe oar locks, that's decided.

Has anyone used Convertible Oar rights?

Oar Accessories Convertible Oar-Right

Are they worth it?
I'd like to have the option of the Oar Rights, but I also want to graduate to open oar eventually. Advice?

Thanks,
Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Those look interesting. They would be a nice way to have it both ways. I thought about going oar-rightless on my last upper C camping trip with my son. I decided to keep them on over concerns about wind and I was glad I did. We battled some fierce winds that trip and the rights came in handy for blind rowing with all my might against the wind. So with those you are looking at, on calm days you could flip them up and out of the way, but be able to flip them down when the winds BLOW!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Cobras are GREAT! The only people that I know that don't like them are running steep creeky stuff, where they don't want the oars to dive and jam or break on a rock. But then again, some that do run that stuff use cobras anyways.

Get the deluxe, with the thread and nut, so you don't risk bending the shaft.

I only know of one person that uses the convertibles, and they were happy. I'm leery of it breaking at a key time.
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Haven't used the convertibles, which look interesting, but I do confess to using and liking the Standard Model Training Wheels. Guess that makes me a girly man. Oh well...
Old 09-28-2009   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
From the picture, the wedge looks like it's connected with 2 screws, seems a little flimsy and might break. I might get them anyways and try them out. Will report what I find.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I need a bit of advice. From overall searching here sounds like I should go for the Sawyer Cobra Deluxe oar locks, that's decided.

Has anyone used Convertible Oar rights?
You sould try rowing with the Cobra oarlocks before you buy Oar Rights. You might not need the Oar Rights. I tried Cobra oarlocks a couple of times and did not like them. My biggest complaint with the Cobras was that it was difficult to feather my oars. The narrow space between the horns meant the oar was in contact with the oarock in two place instead of one like with a standard oarlock. This made it more difficult to twist the oars.