Cons for full-face helmet? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-02-2009   #1

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2007
Cons for full-face helmet?

I was just wondering why more people don't wear a full-face helmet. I figured there must be some downsides I'm not aware of..

kayaker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Harder to drink and eat. I gotta admit it looks more dorky. Some people worry about the face guard catching on something and ripping your head off.

I opted to get the removable WRSI one and I figure it will rip off before my head does. If it is a deep river that I figure I won't be rolling/swimming in I take it off but I wear mine 90% of the time. It isn't as stiff (protective) as something like the Sweat setup but it is a lot better then nothing and much more flexible in the way you use it.
Old 10-02-2009   #3

Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
Some people worry about the face guard catching on something and ripping your head off.
good lord!! I think you just made my decision haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah, I thought they looked dorky too - until I got a fat lip from the river bottom. It is definitely harder to drink and eat with it on.

Also I have to ponytail my hair as braids interfere with the full face part so I end up pulling my ponytail through the hole in the back of the strap attachment - this makes it really, really inconvenient to just pull the helmet off and on.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
why do people ride motorcycles without helmets?

I've worn a full face since I started boating. It has saved me from alot of damage. It is harder to hear and talk, and is hotter on a hot desert float. For me, the lack of stitches and keeping my teeth outweighed the down sides.
Old 10-02-2009   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 99
I find my Shred Ready to be hot and kind of restrictive with breathing and hearing. Also, anytime I show up at anything besides manky Vs wearing it, I feel as though I may be ostricised. On the other hand, sometimes its fun to wear on cruiser runs because I feel like I'm watching a whitewater movie. Its a very out-of-body, neo-transcendental experience.
mafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Dorky?

Maybe you just got the wrong full-face helment...
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #8

Chicago, Illinois
Does it make a difference what type of river you're on? Is it something that's really only worn on Class V? Or is it more of a water level issue?
Old 10-02-2009   #9

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
pet peeve

You've hit on a pet peve for me! In 20 + years of boating, I have never seen a facemask catch, nor had mine snag. I have had my vest catch on a submerged branch and tear. I guess we shouldn't wear vests now because of potential for snags?

If it saves you a blow to a temple, or broken teeth or stitches once, it is worth the hassle factor in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2009   #10
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
If i'm paddling some harder stuff. The last thing I'm thinkin is: Does this helmet make me look dorky? No. Furthermore, if your runnin the "shit" you already look cool.

The chances of it snagging....very,very slim to nonexistent.

Does it matter what type of water I'm paddling? Yes. I'm not going to wear it on Westwater or Bridges.

Other con's? Eating and drinking matter very little to me...I finally figured out how to take the thing off when i'm eating.

Only real con I have for you is that it's harder to hear and harder for people to hear you so speak up.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote