Colorado Springs--new kayak help - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2008   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: Soon
Colorado Springs--new kayak help

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and I live in Colorado Springs, CO. I'm looking to get into the sport and need advice on resources on who to use locally in Colorado springs or Denver area. I've only kayaked once before years ago.

Looking to do some light kayak paddling on Prospect Lake at Memorial Park beginning soon and maybe some very light calm river running when I get more comfortable in a boat. I know I want a sit in kayak.

I know Craigslist is a resource but unsure as to Kayak make/model. I've read that an Otter Rush gets good reviews. What do you all think about it for my needs? I am 165lbs, 6' tall, 34" waist, 32-33" inseam. I would like the ability to keep things dry (i.e. lunch, camera, mp3 maybe, cell, etc).
As I'd be going solo, I would like something as light weight as possible to facilitate easy loading and storage of the boat.
Any good basic Kayak schools in Colorado Springs that you guys/gals would recommend? Any stores locally that sell used or that you recommend for new?

TIA!
Nate

Fustern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
We have a pool session today that you should come to, check your pm's. The local shops are Christy's and CKS. CKS is in Buena Vista but does a great job of supporting our club. Pikes Peak Whitewater Kayak Club
Old 04-20-2008   #3

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Technically you need an expensive annual permit ($100.00?) to put your kayak on any of the city owned lakes, even if only for a couple of hours. You are much more likely to have problems with a visible site like Prospect than with some of the smaller bodies (like Quail Lake).
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008   #4

Paddling Since: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
We have a pool session today that you should come to, check your pm's. The local shops are Christy's and CKS. CKS is in Buena Vista but does a great job of supporting our club. Pikes Peak Whitewater Kayak Club
Gh,

Thanks for the pool session invite. Unfortunately I am working tonight and won't eb able to attend. Bummer. It looks as if the pool sessions are finished for the season, huh? Do you know any other kayak schools in town off hand?

$100 isn't tooo much to spend on the convenience of the city lake IMO. Where exactly is Quail Lake?
Fustern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quail lake is down close to the Broadmoor but not sure of the street address. Yep, your timing is bad on our pool sessions. I would highly recommend RMOC in Salida for lessons. I know they are running several clinics during paddlefest for a reasonable price.
Old 04-20-2008   #6

Paddling Since: 1995
Paddle help in C Springs

Christy Sports rents boats if you want to try before you buy. Pikes peak whitewater club would also be a great resource.
Teddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #7

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
FU,

In between 115 and Venetucci on Cheyenn Mtn Road (south end of town) there is a small lake. It might be Quail Lake, I don't remember. I used to dick around in there in my play boat all the time and nobody ever said anything.

100 bucks? F 'em. It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

There's tons and tons of goose shit in all those lakes so plug up the nose and ears. Peace.

J
Old 04-21-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quail Lake -> Rampart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastrdSonOfElvis View Post

In between 115 and Venetucci on Cheyenn Mtn Road (south end of town) there is a small lake. It might be Quail Lake, I don't remember.
Yeh, that is Quail Lake. It's on the south side of the road, you can't miss it. I learned how to canoe in that lake a few years ago and no one ever gave me a hard time. But the water is really gross. I'm not sure if boating is allowed in Rampart Res, but it may be worth looking into.
powandflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Rampart is very nice and very clean, no goose poop. Its a no wake lake so its great for kayaks. Its a bit of a drive though. I would say its easier to drive to pueblo and just get in the pools between the drops at the playpark at least right now while its low.
Old 04-21-2008   #10

Focus on your own damn family, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
What GH said.

I only live about a five minutes drive from Quail lake, so I do bring my kids over sometime and paddle around.
cbrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking