Colorado Based Kayak Manufacturer - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2015   #1

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Colorado Based Kayak Manufacturer

All of the kayak companies in the US (that I know of) are based out east.

Jackson (TN)
Dagger (confluence) (SC)
Liquid Logic (NC)

I know some companies have been in Colorado a long time ago and moved but does anyone know of any companies that have tried to be based out of (or start in) Colorado or anywhere west of the Mississippi for that matter in the last 20 years? Any failed startup stories?

I understand that manufacturers tend to stick together geographically. I also get that kayaking has a longer (pretty much non-stop) season out east but I would think that there is enough kayaking in Colorado to support a manufacturer here.

Just wondering. Thanks.

aewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Wave Sport was out of Oak Creek Co, Grayling Kayaks (ancient glass boats) out of Denver, CKS started building glass boats out of the Buena Vista area.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #3

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
Wave Sport was out of Oak Creek Co, Grayling Kayaks (ancient glass boats) out of Denver, CKS started building glass boats out of the Buena Vista area.
Wavesports old warehouse is about 5 min walk from my place. Its a grow operation now.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015   #4

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Bummer, that would be pretty awesome if CKS made their own line of boats but I guess they would have to sell more of their own boats than they do the companies they carry now which would be tough.

Figures it's a grow house now.
aewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Pretty sure there was a grow op while Wavesport was there too pot cultivation's not such a young industry.
Old 07-30-2015   #6

student
The US Branch of Zet Kayaks is based out of Banks, ID now. For a company to move out west, it makes a lot more sense to be based out of Washington, Idaho, or (though not recently) Cali than Colorado- unless you really want to prove how indestructible your boats are by throwing them down mank every day.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #7

Durango, Colorado
I think New Wave was based in Durango. Could be mistaken...

Don't think you can really call them kayaks, but Alpaca and Kokopelli pack rafts are in CO.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I think New Wave was in Ohiopyle, PA. Mostly Jim Snyder Designs. Sleek, Cruise Control, Screamin' Meany among others. Sin Squirtboats by Techline were manufactured here in Durango starting in 1996/97. Mold was sold to PS Composites. You can still get these from Custom Kayak.
River

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote