Cleanwaste Portable Toilet System Combo - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2012   #1

Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
Cleanwaste Portable Toilet System Combo

I'm thinking of getting this folding toilet and using in it with a 4-6" X 4' PVC tube "poo retainer" where I would store my PETT/WAG bags rather than an ecosafe/ammo can setup.

My thoughts are that this would be a lighter weight, less smelly, and more sanitary system. I'm looking at 7lb folding toilet + PVC for my suggested system vs. the 11.5 lb ecosafe + 20lb ammo can + 20lb ammo can.

Has anybody got any personal experience with this? I'm wondering if this setup would suffice for a Grand Canyon trip. If this works, I could lash the PVC tube in the front or back of my frame between my cat tubes.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman
I'm thinking of getting this folding toilet and using in it with a 4-6" X 4' PVC tube "poo retainer" where I would store my PETT/WAG bags rather than an ecosafe/ammo can setup.

My thoughts are that this would be a lighter weight, less smelly, and more sanitary system. I'm looking at 7lb folding toilet + PVC for my suggested system vs. the 11.5 lb ecosafe + 20lb ammo can + 20lb ammo can.

Has anybody got any personal experience with this? I'm wondering if this setup would suffice for a Grand Canyon trip. If this works, I could lash the PVC tube in the front or back of my frame between my cat tubes.
If you are gonna use wag bags you should also include in the comparison a simple 5 gal bucket with gamma lid. Much lighter than an ammo can. And there are plenty of users who have done this and are happy with the results

The ecosafe is sealed so you dont need wag bags just need to keep it upright. You also dont need the ammo can as its just like a kayak --- just add shit

The allure of the tube is you can push the bags down into it like a diaper genie and so less likely to open a bucket of surprise. That and you can hang the tube anywhere you have a few feet of frame.
Old 07-11-2012   #3

Reston, Virginia
What would I need/use the bucket w/gamma lid for?

I called the river permit office for the GC. They said that this system should be fine, but they are going to run this by the Lee's Ferry rangers to get their blessing and make it official for their records. I don't see why this shouldn't work since the PVC pipe method is allowed for kayakers on the GC.

I'm not sure why anybody would prefer 40lbs of ammo cans, a tank of stank and slosh over the system I'm discussing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
What would I need/use the bucket w/gamma lid for?

I called the river permit office for the GC. They said that this system should be fine, but they are going to run this by the Lee's Ferry rangers to get their blessing and make it official for their records. I don't see why this shouldn't work since the PVC pipe method is allowed for kayakers on the GC.

I'm not sure why anybody would prefer 40lbs of ammo cans, a tank of stank and slosh over the system I'm discussing.
My reference to the 5gal with gamma lid is thats where you stash the used wags.

I already have an ecosafe so dont need the expensive wag bags. Its rated for 50 uses (no pee). Cleanout is possible at an RV station but better where they have a scat machine. I'm doing a week trip this summer where i have a sling for only the ecosafe. No ammo cans required, except in my truck to assist with loading in the scat machine.

So the question is to spend $150 on the ecosafe or just use WAG with either a pipe or 5 gal bucket. The bags arent entirely free and then there is the impact consideration of sewage system vs landfill

Your solution in theory avoids the tank of stank issues but you have to poo in a bag so practice your aim and make sure you pinch in half the long ones
Old 07-11-2012   #5

Reston, Virginia
No aiming necessary with this I would hope...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleanwaste1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	4943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleanwaste2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	4944  

Old 07-11-2012   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
No aiming necessary with this I would hope...
Catman, many permitted rivers don't allow the wag bag system.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The wag bags will produce a ridiculous amount of waste and will prove MUCH bulkier than the reusable groovers. A group of 16 should use 4-8 groovers on the Grand, but you will fill enough wag bags to fill 15 ammo cans or pvc tubes of similar quantity. It's not a good idea. Rent groovers and have them cleaned for $20 a person, it's so worth it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #8

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
It makes sense if it works for kayakers then it should be acceptable for anyone. However, this is from the NRS product page: For example, the Cleanwaste system is only approved by the National Park Service for use in the Grand Canyon section of the Colorado River for day use and side hikes. You will need a different system for use in camp. Always pack out used bags in a rigid, waterproof container.

[EDIT]--I guess the PVC container would count for the rigid, waterproof container. You just may have to be specific with the rangeras to how your system is set up; i.e., the waste is ultimately ending up in the required container.

Supposedly the wag bags decompose in 6-8 months, significantly reducing their environmental impact. However, for $20, I'd rather not mess with the bags or clean up! Besides, how much are you going to pay for bags for a trip?
waterbob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #9

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Wag Bag/Gamma Lid System; been there, done that. All it took was one week of off gassing stink in the summer sun to make the Eco price tag look like a good deal. No more issues since that purchase.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #10

Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Bags of poo

I'm just thinking that you're wasting a lot of bags if only one or 2 people use them at a time, and you have to squeeze all the air out of the bags to get them into the pipe you're describing. Then visualize mashing and squashing said bags into the pipe which is quickly filling up much faster than you anticipated (mostly with plastic bags). Avatards idea of the buckets of bags seems better, but I think whatever system the commercial trips use that are time tested and trusted would be the smartest way to go. And I guarantee those guides aren't squeezing the air out of other people's poop bags.
I don't know why I love groover threads so much, I guess it's because I ALWAYS end up dealing with the groover. Our last trip of 11 people completely filled up one ecosafe container on a four day trip. It seemed like people were using Way too much toilet paper.
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote