class V helmets - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-20-2011   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
class V helmets

Ok so after going through 2 sr full face helmets in a month...(one was a warranty issue....promptly fixed, the other totally a high speed underwater rock impact....saved my @$$), I finally bought the sweet full face. What I noticed wHile reading the owners manual was that it clearly states multiple times that this helmet is not class V &VI certified.

Are there any that are? Just curious.... the Sweet is by far the most comfortable and best helmet I have ever worn. I love it so far.... just wondering.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It's not clear to me what that actually means. I don't think there is a such thing as class V or class VI helmet certification.

What do you like better about the Sweet over the SR? The Sweet fullface doesn't fit me and am looking for an alternative.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #3

Denver,, exhaustion
The Sweet has an incredible fit for me. My entire head is the contact point... wHere as with the sr it only contacts the top and head band areas....think beanie verse top hat.

If the sweet does not fit try the predator.
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not 100% sure, but I think this has to do with legal terminology and the european helmet certification standards.

From what I recall, sweet helmets are certified by a european helmet standard, but class V is outside of the boundaries of the standard.

This doesn't mean that the helmet won't protect you on class V, it means the certifications that the helmet gets don't cover class V.

There isn't a whitewater helmet "standard" in the US that all helmets must meet. Some guy in a garage can take some foam and fiberglass and make a helmet and sell it, which is just what several helmet manufacturers started out doing (or some may still do).

Rest assured, sweet helmet are top notch and offer great protection.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Predator helmets use EPS foam which is an inferior foam liner - makes it a no go for me - besides the fact that they look goofy.

That was my initial impression of the SR as well - the fit felt loose. Bummer. Sorry to get off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post
The Sweet has an incredible fit for me. My entire head is the contact point... wHere as with the sr it only contacts the top and head band areas....think beanie verse top hat.

If the sweet does not fit try the predator.
Old 06-20-2011   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I think we should all be mandated to wear the Lektor Protector if only for the freak out factor. Second what Ian said, there is no US standard and no company will certify a class V helmet. This is because class V encompasses things like Yule creek which can lead to impacts that most dirt bike helmets would have a hard time protecting against.

RE: Kevin; As far as EPS is concerned, I was not aware of any issues that makes it an inferior absorption liner, and I thought EPP had similar properties but I've never really compared. Would you elaborate?
Old 06-20-2011   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Lektors for everyone? No way. You can only wear the Lektor if you are a STUD.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Lektors for everyone? No way. You can only wear the Lektor if you are a STUD.
Well then.. I guess we'll be around to collect yours.
Old 06-20-2011   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Like the plaid drysuit, I'm not cool enough to wear a Lektor. From what I've read, EPS is single impact foam and thus not a good choice for a WW helmet. Sweet & SR use EPP, which from what I can tell is the best choice, but more $ and harder to work with. WRSI uses EVA foam which sounds like it's not quite as good as EPP (helmet makers that use it seem to take exception), but they also use the double shell deal, which hopefully makes up for it.

It doesn't seem like the research is as clear cut as one would hope, but this is what I've gleaned from reading some articles from independent sources that quote university staff who pretend to know what they're talking about. (Which by the way lead me to buy a Sweet which didn't fit my, apparently, abnormal head)

As I understand it, CE EN 1385 is the standard that most WW helmet manufactures try to conform to, which I believe is the European standard DSP is referencing. It's a whitewater standard for class I-IV whitewater, which is why I would guess the Sweet notes that it's not certified for V & VI.

My standards, unless proven otherwise, are: Composite shell, EPP foam liner, and good fit features (standard chin attachments and good adjustable backband).
Old 06-20-2011   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Like the plaid drysuit, I'm not cool enough to wear a Lektor. From what I've read, EPS is single impact foam and thus not a good choice for a WW helmet. Sweet & SR use EPP, which from what I can tell is the best choice, but more $ and harder to work with. WRSI uses EVA foam which sounds like it's not quite as good as EPP (helmet makers that use it seem to take exception), but they also use the double shell deal, which hopefully makes up for it.

It doesn't seem like the research is as clear cut as one would hope, but this is what I've gleaned from reading some articles from independent sources that quote university staff who pretend to know what they're talking about. (Which by the way lead me to buy a Sweet which didn't fit my, apparently, abnormal head)

As I understand it, CE EN 1385 is the standard that most WW helmet manufactures try to conform to, which I believe is the European standard DSP is referencing. It's a whitewater standard for class I-IV whitewater, which is why I would guess the Sweet notes that it's not certified for V & VI.

My standards, unless proven otherwise, are: Composite shell, EPP foam liner, and good fit features (standard chin attachments and good adjustable backband).
Good to know. I'll have to check more on the EPS since it's in my helmet. I know in Mtn. Bike helmets it's definitely single impact though those helmets typically don't have an ABS or composite shell for primary impact. And eeeegads on the plaid dry top. It's like watching That 70s show on a bad acid trip.

Tags
class v