Choosing the Right IK Paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2011   #1

My Truck, United States
Paddling Since: 2010
Choosing the Right IK Paddle

Hello All,

I am fairly new to the whitewater scene and have just purchased my first inflatable kayak. It's an innova k1 and i'm trying to find the right paddle for myself. My problem has been that either i can spend $80 dollars and get a crappy paddle or i can spend $300 and get a good one. Also, I'm looking for a paddle that is 210 cm or possibly 220 (210 preferred). If anyone out there has some advice for inflatable kayak paddles, i would greatly appreciate it, the sooner i can get a paddle the sooner i can be freezing my arse off out here on some river in Oregon. Thanks!

Dipper

dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
paersonally i use the nrs ptr paddle on my IK. it's pretty cheap, has big ass blades which make a ton of difference for me, and has proven to be a super sturdy paddle over the last few years.
they also make a breakdown version and it lets you use either a 30 or 45 degree twist, which is nice.
they make a lot of different sizes. I'm a giant so i've been using a 230.
here's a link
PTR Kayak Paddle 45 at NRSweb.com

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
Our best selling IK paddle that we send out with most of our ducky sales is the Werner Tybee.

It's a great IK paddle, with a big blade, lengths ranging from 205 to 230, the best ferrule on the market with adjustability in 15 degree offsets all the way up to 90 degrees in both directions. Not to mention it's from Werner, so the overall quality is second to none. It's also only $130.

If you need a bit more power and durability than the ABS blades of the Tybee, they offer the same shape blade but in fiberglass in the Shuna, but it will also double the cost at $275. Either way you can't go wrong.

I should also mention that I currently have a 215cm and a 220cm Tybee on sale for 20% off if you use promo code "happyholidays" at checkout.
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011   #4

My Truck, United States
bigben: thanks for the reply, i checked out the PTR and it looks like a nice choice, i'm wondering about it's durability. I'm usually running class 2-4 rapids. Have you had a chance to test the paddle in swift water?

4CRS: Thanks as well to you for the reply, I checked out the tybee.. It seems to have a nice shape and is definatelly lighter than other's i've looked at, my only wonder is why it is in the touring category and if it would be up to class IV rapids. Otherwise it looks like a great paddle. Thanks again for the reply.

If anyone else has any other suggestions i'd love to check out as many paddles as i can before a purchase. Thanks all

Dipper
Old 12-10-2011   #5
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
yeah man i paddle it in water up to class 4, but i usually stay in the 2-3 range. i've done a few multi-days with it (cataract, verde, upper c) and it's all i use on my hometown river. i paddled 64 days this year; about 45 of them on my IK's, and all with that ptr paddle. personally i'll never use anything else. that werner looks ok, but i'd never spend almost 3x as much vs. a paddle that has more than proven itself to me over the last few years.
unless youre rich it's a waste to blow hundreds of dollars on a paddle designed for hardshell boats.
i think that a bigger, scooped blade and having a twist in the shaft are all great advantages in an IK paddle that might not be so great in a hardshell. i think the ptr is the best paddle on the market for our style of boat.
that innova is a solid boat. but be careful selecting paddle length. i'm 6'4 and i need a 230cm so that i don't have to lean too far just to get my blade in the water. a 220 or maybe 210 should work great for ya tho. and with a paddle that big, having the option to get a break-down is great for storage and transport.
good luck and welcome to the funnest sport on the planet!!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #6

My Truck, United States
big ben: thanks for the advice, sounds like i can get a paddle for a good price after all. I can't wait to get out on the water!

If anyone else has suggestions other than the NRS PTR please do let me know, thanks

Dipper
Old 12-10-2011   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm happy with the Tybee I bought a few years ago. It's used in class 3-4 with no apparent problems. I'm 6 feet tall and use a 230 length.

Get the foam padding that wraps on the shaft. It makes a paddle easier & more comfortable to grip. I don't know if 4crs has it, cks does.

Padz Paddle Gripz: Padz Paddle Gripz
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #8

My Truck, United States
that's great to know david, i I like the look of the tybee. How does the 230 fit you, does it ever seem too long? (i'm also 6 feet tall). What kind of boat do you float in?
Old 12-11-2011   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I use a werner powerhouse with my sevy xk1. the boats handles a lot like a hardshell kayak so i just use a kayak paddle.

Innovas are good boats but they are a little wobbly for my tastes
Old 12-11-2011   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have the Werner Tybee and it has proven to be worth the money. I have owned quite a few over the years. My wife usually duckies while I row Supercat. For anything above class 3 she will deflate the kayak and ride the Cat. We also have an IK2 when we have more floaters for mellow days or I want to paddle instead of row. Needless to say, the paddles get a lot of use and Tybee is the one my wife will insist on. On one trip, when Tybee was still new and the expense was still fresh in her head, we lost Tybee and she was distraught. We checked every eddy for the next two days and never saw found by the time we reached our takeout. We decided to keep floating. Thirty miles from where we lost it, we spotted Tybee's yellow blade and were able to retreive it. Get a paddle that floats and has a bright color!

Also, all the breakdown paddles I've owned with a pushbutton to break it down have failed when cracks begin to form in the metal radiating from the buttonhole. The spline connector in Tybee makes much more sense and has held up.

I also own Skagit which is really the touring version. It has more taper to the blade and morks well for smooth water but definitely doesn't have the power of Tybee.

As far as length, it really depends on your particular configuration. How wide the tubes are, how high up you sit etc. You want to reach the water with the blade without needing to reach with your body.

Have fun!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote