Cheap Drybox- Overpack Drum? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-12-2012   #1

Blue River, Colorado
Cheap Drybox- Overpack Drum?

Any experience with a salvage overpack drum as a dry box? These are used for hazmat cleanup, to enclose a leaking drum or barrel. I just bought a 20 gallon plastic overpack drum from Industrial Supplies for $49, free shipping, and it sure looks like it would hold up to waves and hydraulics. It's the small one with the screw lid in the photo. Place for a 2x4 to fit into the lid for extra torque. Tough to shape to fit in and tie down, and don't get one used, but I'm thinking it could work. They're UN approved...
Attached Images

kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneth View Post
Any experience with a salvage overpack drum as a dry box? These are used for hazmat cleanup, to enclose a leaking drum or barrel. I just bought a 20 gallon plastic overpack drum from Industrial Supplies for $49, free shipping, and it sure looks like it would hold up to waves and hydraulics. It's the small one with the screw lid in the photo. Place for a 2x4 to fit into the lid for extra torque. Tough to shape to fit in and tie down, and don't get one used, but I'm thinking it could work. They're UN approved...

Those sure look appealing!

How can I not visualize some intrepid Russian rafters running a rig with about 6 of the 55 gal overpacks lashed together?!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
He would be yelling "Come on Yuri, paddle harder we are about to go down the tongueski"!
SBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
How good does that gasket look? What type of material is used for the gasket?
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #5

Blue River, Colorado
Gasket on Overpack

It's about 8 mm or 5/16" thick, dense black foam. It's dense but it does compress. It takes 1 1/2 full turns to close it lightly, then you can really twist it tight. I don't think the foam is closed cell, but I'm not sure. It's about an inch wide. The lip of the barrel is about 3/8" thick, and it has rough saw marks on it. I think I should smooth those so they don't bite into the gasket.
Old 04-13-2012   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The "rough saw marks" might make it seal better once, as haz mat container it was not meant to be re-used. smoothing them out sounds like the ticket for gasket life.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #7

Blue River, Colorado
As soon as it stops snowing I'll fill it with water and roll it around the driveway. Maybe leave it upside down. I'll let you know.
Old 04-14-2012   #8

The Big Smoke, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
The "rough saw marks" might make it seal better once, as haz mat container it was not meant to be re-used. smoothing them out sounds like the ticket for gasket life.
Lube the gasket with some veg oil (or whatever) and you'll get on nicely.
constructeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Do a search on vittle vaults they are square and water proof. Also search gamma lids to make a cheap water proof container.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #10

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
It seems like you might be better off w/ 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids might be what you're really looking for...cheap and waterproof (about $9 for the lid and $3 for the bucket if you buy it new...)
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote