Cheap 1 1/2" anodized pipe in Denver - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2011   #1
 
Whoapiglet's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 296
Cheap 1 1/2" anodized pipe in Denver

Just a heads up if anyone is building a frame, ALRECO has a butt load of anodized 6063 schedule 40 pipe for $2.75 a foot right now. Apparently it was mistakenly delivered or fell off a truck or something. Less than 1/2 the price of any raft shop right now.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2011   #2
 
CO.rafter's Avatar
 
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 142
where is ALRECO?
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #3
 
Whoapiglet's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 296
its in Brighton a couple miles off of I76
ALRECO Aluminum Surplus & Supply
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2011   #4
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,148
6063 is the bendable stuff but its not very stiff. a hollander fitting can deform the pipe just from its setscrew
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #5
 
Whoapiglet's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
6063 is the bendable stuff but its not very stiff. a hollander fitting can deform the pipe just from its setscrew
Perhaps, but it is the same stuff that AAA, DRE, Riverboat Works and Clavey use on all their frames.

I figure if it bends I'll be in good company
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #6
 
slamkal's Avatar
 
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet

Perhaps, but it is the same stuff that AAA, DRE, Riverboat Works and Clavey use on all their frames.

I figure if it bends I'll be in good company
Would probably work for a raft frame as it's not structural. That's about the price you pay for unanodized 1-1/4
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #7
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 140
I thought those guys used 6061 not 6063?
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #8
 
Whoapiglet's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 296
I know AAA/Clavey uses 6063 because I just bought $250 of the stuff at $6 a ft for my big boat. DRE says they use 6063 here http://www.downriverequip.com/asp/frames.asp

I know Rowframe uses non-anodized 6061 sched.10 as those are the tubes i'm replacing on my mini max frame. got enough for the whole thing for $50! I figured I'd try the stuff to see if it marks my boat/hands less etc. Gary told me the pretty much all the anodized AL you see is 6063.

I'm certainly not an engineer or the champion of 6063 pipe, I just wanted to send along an FYI- wish I saw it myself before I bought the $6 stuff.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #9
 
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
I know AAA/Clavey uses 6063 because I just bought $250 of the stuff at $6 a ft for my big boat. DRE says they use 6063 here http://www.downriverequip.com/asp/frames.asp

I know Rowframe uses non-anodized 6061 sched.10 as those are the tubes i'm replacing on my mini max frame. got enough for the whole thing for $50! I figured I'd try the stuff to see if it marks my boat/hands less etc. Gary told me the pretty much all the anodized AL you see is 6063.

I'm certainly not an engineer or the champion of 6063 pipe, I just wanted to send along an FYI- wish I saw it myself before I bought the $6 stuff.
Thank you for the heads up and taking the time to post such a great opportunity and a sweet deal on the aluminum pipe. I hope all the buzzards that need it will jump on it and they will have you to thank for it.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #10
BCJ
 
BCJ's Avatar
 
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 551
Thought I'd join the conversation here since I once bought some 1.5" aluminum pipe at a scrapyard that turned out NOT to be 6063 T6 and, well, it bent over time from the weight of a drybox and boat stacking. I think 6063 T6 is the standard and what you want. Not sure what the T6 refers to, but does refer to the alloy mix. I think you can recognize it, especially if it's anodized. I have a Down River frame and works fine. I've also built frames with non-anodized pipe. Does leave black marks but not too big of a deal overall.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Signatures" new Sweetgrass Ski Film : Denver Pinner Winter Buzz 1 10-06-2009 10:24 AM
Cheap New Denver Pool Sessions CUkayakGirl Whitewater Kayaking 5 02-03-2009 05:15 PM
POWDERWHORE'S "THE PACT" TELEMARK FILM DENVER SCREENING Pinner Winter Buzz 0 11-06-2008 10:52 AM
Denver "Freeheel Fest" Pinner Winter Buzz 1 11-18-2004 08:22 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.