Cataraft without trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2012   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
Cataraft without trailer?

Hi,

New member of this site. I was a lurker till now.

I have many years of whitewater experience with hard boats, but am just now thinking about a larger inflatable for multiday trips and for fly fishing (e.g. Green River in Utah, South Fork Snake in Idaho). Possibly some more challenging whitewater, as well.

The inflatable thing is new to me.

I am considering a cataraft for 2 people plus dog/camping/fishing, which I am thinking would be about 14 feet.

The question is this: Is it feasible to transport and put-in/take-out a 14' cataraft using a pickup truck with no trailer. Some time on either end would be fine, since, for now, I only anticipate a couple of extended-weekend trips every summer. I could also strap the frame to racks on top, I think, without much trailer. Do people do this?

Alternatively, does a 14' cataraft necessarily (in practice) necessitate a trailer?

Thanks much.

questionable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I went two years without a trailer hauling around a 16' cat. I have a shell on my pickup with a rack and the frame rode fine on that. For local day trips, I would strap the inflated tubes on top of the frame. It literally looked like I could bring the truck to the river and flip it into the water and float the truck on top of the cat.

Because the cat needs sixteen assorted straps to put it together, I would always leave the straps attached to the frame.

It can be done but in the long run, you'll want a trailer.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I know people that haul 14' cats on truck beds all the time. Some build some basic frames to extend the support of the bed, others just tip it up on top of the cab. No problem, no diss-assembly, you just need some help getting it there.
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I went two years without a trailer hauling around a 16' cat. I have a shell on my pickup with a rack and the frame rode fine on that. For local day trips, I would strap the inflated tubes on top of the frame. It literally looked like I could bring the truck to the river and flip it into the water and float the truck on top of the cat.

Because the cat needs sixteen assorted straps to put it together, I would always leave the straps attached to the frame.

It can be done but in the long run, you'll want a trailer.
I have a buddy who is carting around his cat in and FJ. I think it's only 13 feet but still. Cooler in the back. Frame and oars up top. Rubber almost anywhere.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
Thanks folks. Hugely helpful. I think you have given me the confidence I need to go for it! Now where did I put that credit card... :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I have a buddy who is carting around his cat in and FJ. I think it's only 13 feet but still. Cooler in the back. Frame and oars up top. Rubber almost anywhere.
questionable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #6

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
not to throw a wrench in the gears but....

everyone that i have known with a 14' cat ended up getting a 16'

not enough gear and people hauling capacity.

i'm glad i got a 16 footer.

might want to think about it before the plastic starts flying

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86304 View Post
not to throw a wrench in the gears but....
everyone that i have known with a 14' cat ended up getting a 16'
not enough gear and people hauling capacity.
i'm glad i got a 16 footer.
might want to think about it before the plastic starts flying
bob
I'm going to go the other way on this. I have a 16' and a 12' and if I only had one boat it would be the 12'. Except for the Grand Canyon it is the perfect boat for day trips and multidays and much better in more challanging water. I typically get 20 to 40 days a year in for 20 plus years and still have not gotten around to buying a trailer.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I hauled around a 16' Aire Jag cat for 4 years with a Subie Outback and no trailer. And I had a Malamute. It can be done. I'd suggest that you might consider a modular frame instead of a one-piece; that will fit on / in a truck bed. I had a 3 piece set that I could outfit the tubes based on the trip I was doing; from a 1 rowing module to adding a cooler frame and a cargo frame front and back.

Check out Coyote frames through 4 Corners: http://www.riversports.com/product/i...ataraft-Frames
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft