Cataraft Seats - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2010   #1

Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Cataraft Seats

I've never been satisfied that the tractor seats commonly used on catarafts are the best seats that can be designed. Once the cover cracks the foam soaks up a ton of water and then the metal rusts. I've also never liked the plastic folding fishing seats because of the flex they have. I personally prefer high back seats because of the leverage and support I can get from them. What is the best option for a seat that can hold up to the forces put on it by class v boating?

Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Down rivers chairs are awesomely comfy. i would think it would hold up to class V. Would the mesh possibly be a problem?

Down River Equipment
Old 04-07-2010   #3

Bellevue, Washington
I'd have to hack it up and add the right bracket to get it to go on my frame. Maybe I could weld up my own version of the same concept. Has anyone else modified seats to their liking? Any original designs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010   #4

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I had the same problem with my tractor seat. I just recently pulled off the foam and vinyl, sanded off the rust, primed, painted and the attached grey kayaker foam (I think it's called mono cell). Total cost 30 bucks, but could have been done cheaper.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #5

Bellevue, Washington
I've done roughly the same thing with polyethylene foam. How good is the traction on the mini cell foam?
Old 04-07-2010   #6

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Look at downrivers mesh seat, that is what I have and I love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	2466  
Brushfire830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you guys carving your own seat or just putting down one flat piece? I have been thinking about just removing my seat and screwing on a piece of poly board and using a crazy creek chair.
Old 04-07-2010   #8

Bellevue, Washington
On my seat the foam is glued to the metal from an old tractor seat. The foam is shaped just a little around the edges so that it isn't chunky. There's also a hole cut for the drain.

I don't think that I could attach a downriver seat to my frame with out some heavy modifications to the seat, and I don't mess with aluminum.
Old 04-07-2010   #9

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpaddler06 View Post
Are you guys carving your own seat or just putting down one flat piece? I have been thinking about just removing my seat and screwing on a piece of poly board and using a crazy creek chair.
A river-guide friend rowed a 16 ft. Daddy Cat through the Grand Canyon with my Crazy Creek canoe chair strapped to a deckboard. He said it felt fine and the side straps kept him from washing out in some of the thumpers.

I'm a bit big for it, and favor my old NRS highback and those cheapo plastic folding fishing seats.

You might look at race-car seats for new ideas. Or camel saddles.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Are you working with one of the tractor seats that NRS no longer carries? The ones that typically had a white covering? Vs the newer ones that are gray? I hate the gray ones, and really like my old-style low back, but had to find it through a tractor supply place (good colors also). Good luck, seats are tough.

Tags
cataraft, class v, seat