cataract vs carlisle blades? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2011   #1

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
cataract vs carlisle blades?

Got a question for you guys. Buying new 10 foot cataract SGX noncounterbalanced oars and looking for blades. I was leaning toward cataract magnum blades, but heard they were quite a bit heavier than standard carlisle blades, any truth to this? Im looking so save weight off the end of my oars and want a lighter blade, cant afford razors. Of the standard calisle and cataract blades and the cataract magnum blades, which is the lightest? Thanks guys.

riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011   #2

According to my quick search 8" outfitter blades are 3 lbs and Magnums are 2.8, same as 6.5" outfitters.

Have you thought about Sawyers?
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Magnum sucks. Very brittle, break easy. Not a fan at all.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011   #4

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
blade choices

In my experience, the standard Cat blades do not perform as well as the Mags. The stds, because of the molded foam, thickness, and rounded edges do not bite and hold on a stroke and tend to feel a bit soft, where as the Mags don't. The stds i have had have chipped a lot, so they have gone on spares. The Carlisle Outfitters bite well, but seem to deteriorate more in the sun over time (which everything does here) and also bend more easily. That said my Cat Mags have bent slightly over time too, but not as bad. RE the weight thing, given the counter balanced Cats i dont think a couple of ounces are noticable and the counter weights make up for the difference.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Blade width should also be considered in relation to your oar lock preference. Since I use open locks and feather my oars all day, the wider the blade the more I wear out my wrists. I use good old wooden Smokers on my whitewater expedition boat with skinny blades. My day trip rigs have Carliles with with 6 1/2" blades, just being cheap. My Alaska moose-hunting cataraft (18-footer) has pins and clips and 8" outfitter blades. That boat is used to move huge loads on relatively flat water.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #6

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Go with wooden Sawyer's
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.A.A.C. Slim View Post
Go with wooden Sawyer's
That was going to be my suggestion as well. Ash v-pros are lighter and probably more buoyant. Dynelites are only 2 lbs but now you are back in the Razor price group.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Can't tell you how many synthetic oars I've bent, chipped, etc. They are handy for being able to replace parts and are readily available. Not known for durability.

I have had the same set of 4 Smokers for 24 years and have only spent money on a little varnish. I just measured the blade width - 5 inches. I have rowed big loads through big water with them. I see no advantage in wider blades. I once rowed the Salt River with a set of 8" blade Carlisles on open oarlocks. I had ace bandages on both wrists by the third day.

Bear in mind that if you add weight for counterbalance, you may be creating oars that sink to the bottom when you pop one into the river. Don't forget the tethers.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The "button" broke off my Cataract blade after a couple of trips and made it worthless. Meanwhile, my Carlisle blades have been working well for over a decade. I will not be buying Cataracts again.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #10

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Razors aren't for whitewater...just FYI
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade, carlisle, cataract