Cataract SGG vs. SGX - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2009   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Cataract SGG vs. SGX

Lookin for some new 10' oars for a 16' Avon bucket boat. It seems that everyone likes the rebound and flex of the SGG's but I heard that with big boats and heavy loads the flex seems more like a waste of energy.

Cataract says the SGX is 33% stiffer, but I dont want it to feel like a stiff old Carlisle...

Anyone who has used either the SGG or SGX that is willing to share feedback would be very appreciated.

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009   #2

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Chaser

Not to jack your thread.... But I'm a big, big fan of your avatar! Well done!
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #3

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I have both, 9' SGG for my 14' and 10' SGX for 16'. In my opinion the SGX are perfect for a larger, heavier boat. I wouldn't even put them in the same ball park as the Carlisle, they still offer more flex than the Carlisle but 33% increase in stiffness is needed when cranking on a big, heavy rig. Have you looked at the Sawyer MX-G? A friend made me row my 16' with his MX-G's and I have to say I REALLY liked them. Happy Oar hunting. hope that helps. T
bigwatertoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I have the 10' SGG's with counter-balance (I believe the SGX only avail. in Blue) They are good for just about everything but Cat and the Grand. I have a big 15'10" Hyside that's an extra wide gear hauler. I ran Cat last year at around 20,000 and was bending them quite a bit through the Big Drops but were fine. Ran the Grand in a 18' Hyside with the MX-G and they were quite a bit stiffer and moved the boat well. I think the SGX would be a perfect compromise seeing as the MX's didn't hardly flex at all. All in all just about everything feels better than a Carlisle outfitter oar.

Go for the extra charge and have them rope wrapped at the factory. It's only another $15 an oar. oh, and Rubber Donuts are extra.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #5

Well some great advise, I would love to try out some MX-G's but I do think that I will end up going with the SGX.

One more brain buster. I have only used carlisle blades and was looking to get a little more durable blade, Magnums seem nice, and I have heard Cataract blades fail to satisfy. Razors seem cool as do Sawyer V pro ash.

I will be feathering so which blades would create the least flutter.
Old 07-26-2009   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I got the Magnum Cat blade and they are real good. The original Cat blade is shit. The Sawyer V pro is almost perfect. Sawyer fir blade is real good and easier to feather; what I used on the Grand, although not as much power as V-PRO. Lots of Commercial Row trips I saw used the classic Smokers, which actually come out cheaper than the Cataract/blade/rope-rap combo by about 10 bucks.
Cheers!
SYOTR

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #7

decided to go with sgx oars with rope wrap and a magnum blade, thanks for all the Beta, cant wait to get 'em in the mail!!!
Old 04-10-2011   #8

Idaho, Wyoming
sgx oar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
decided to go with sgx oars with rope wrap and a magnum blade, thanks for all the Beta, cant wait to get 'em in the mail!!!

old thread, i know. chaser, if your still around how do you like those oars now that you've used them. anyone else? cataract's website is not very informative.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #9

They are very nice on a big heavy rig, less rebound than the sgg's but perfect for some strong pulling.
Old 04-10-2011   #10

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I don't have a lot to compare them to but i love my sgx with rope and counter balance!
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract, oars, sgg, sgx