Cataract or Carlisle Oars - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2007   #1

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Cataract or Carlisle Oars

Just getting ready to buy some oars and wondering what the advatages of the cataract oars are.
ian

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandyoso View Post
Just getting ready to buy some oars and wondering what the advatages of the cataract oars are.
ian
they cost twice as much but will last three times as long. they dont bend and stay bent like carlisles - which are aluminum covered in plastic. the cataracts are carbon fiber. there you have it.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #3

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
cataract

Hey...

I have used both quite a bit over the years. At first I thought carlisle's were the best deal. Now I'm outfitting all my boats with cataracts. The plastic around the carlisles cracks pretty easy and they just don't have the same feel during the stroke. The flex of the carbon-fiber, I feel, really helps fight fatigue. I also think it's fun to feel the oar flex and snap... it's a mental thing. Enough to pay the extra cost.

Some folks complain about the carbon-fiber eventually splintering but if you keep it wiped down with 303 it sould help prevent this from occuring. I'm sure there are other solutions.

Different stokes for different folks though. Good luck.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
You can also get the Cataract ones with counterweights built in. My next pair will have this feature. If your going to spend the bucks........why not go all the way.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Take a look at the Sawyer Polecats too- they come in a counterbalance as well. My buddy says they have a nice feel, and the price is actually great considering they're Sawyers. I have Cataracts, which I like; although I was bummed that one of my Cataract blades bent just a bit after the first trip.

Cascade Outfitters Whitewater Rafting Equipment: Pole Cat Oars - 8' to 10'
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #6

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
"I have Cataracts, which I like; although I was bummed that one of my Cataract blades bent just a bit after the first trip."

I've never really liked the cataract blades. I use the carlisle blades on my cataract oars. I think they grip the wter just a bit better. Plus I usually have one oar on the bank (where legal) and can dig it in to the mud or whatever when back-rowing. I spend most my day back-rowing. On a nine-mile stretch with a gps we really cover 26 with all the rowing. The cataracts blades really frustrate me.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #7

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll chime in for Sawyers too. The Polecats are a great oar and a super good value, and would be my top choice. The rest of the Sawyer line is very nice as well.

I really can't stand the feel of Carlisles and personally wouldn't consider them.

Rob
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #8

Palisade, Colorado
there are more than just carlisle and cataract oars...dont rule out wood (Gull is probably the biggest manufacturer). they are naturally light and suprisingly well balanced, plus there is a certain aesthetic to wood if you're into that, which I am. Yes, they require a bit of attention every few years, but I will never own anything but wooden oars...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #9
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Not impressed with cataract

The cataract oars seem to me to be very heavy and too expensive. I have used carlisle for 15 years and they have worked great. I have never broke a carlisle oar.

I borrowed a freinds raft a few weeks ago when my family was in town. My borhter in law was rowing the borrowed boat and hit a rock sideways on the grizzly stretch. The oars on the boat were cataract's and the spare oar that took the brunt of the hit snapped in two. The the blade side of the broken oar sank to the bottom. Luckily it was clear enough to see the oar and I retrieved the blade.

From reading the other posts I'd say go with what feels good (if you have a change to try them).

If you can you should try the oars on your frame. Different frames have different effects on the oars. And size does matter. If you have a narrow boat don't get a long oar or it will be very heavy.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The Cataract oars are appreciably nicer than the Carlisle. Like others have said Carlisle blades are quite nice, cost less, and fit just fine on Cataract shafts.

If I was going to buy new oars I would strongly look at the Sawyer Polecats - they are flexible like the Cataracts but significantly less expensive . And since it is the end of the season you should be able to find deals right now.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle, cataract