Cataract Oar Clearcoat - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2012   #1

Lemooreq, California
Paddling Since: 1969
Cataract Oar Clearcoat

Pick up some used SGGs that are peeling pretty badly on the clearcoat finish. I'm hoping to sand off and refinish, but with what? If the original CC is effected by UV light that badly, maybe a better option? POR-15 or? Emailed Cataract to get suggestions. I'm reasonably sure the structural integrity is not compromised. Can't get a detail of core materials, anyone know?

pvsprme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvsprme
Pick up some used SGGs that are peeling pretty badly on the clearcoat finish. I'm hoping to sand off and refinish, but with what? If the original CC is effected by UV light that badly, maybe a better option? POR-15 or? Emailed Cataract to get suggestions. I'm reasonably sure the structural integrity is not compromised. Can't get a detail of core materials, anyone know?
Not sure but if you get a shaving of it in your hand as a sliver its a total bitch. Wear gloves when you work on it. Can you get a uv resistant polyurethane? I think regular poly should work for a few years unless your shafts are left in the sun all year
Old 06-03-2012   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
i use helmsman spar urethane. seems to be doing pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012   #4

San Juan Islands, Washington

I sanded mine down and repainted them with John Deere yellow Krylon, now they look like Carlisles .
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrefried
I sanded mine down and repainted them with John Deere yellow Krylon, now they look like Carlisles .
Wow even the blades look like carlisles ....
Old 06-03-2012   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Wow even the blades look like carlisles ....
Whats wrong with Carlisles blades of death (besides thier habbit of getting caught in the rings of the oar tether when you ship them). an O-ring and some tape fixes that.
I have some Cataract blades too but they're all broken
Old 06-03-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrefried
Whats wrong with Carlisles blades of death (besides thier habbit of getting caught in the rings of the oar tether when you ship them). an O-ring and some tape fixes that.
I have some Cataract blades too but they're all broken
Nothing. A rubber donut (usually run above the oarlocks) solves the tether issue
Old 06-03-2012   #8

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
refinishing cataracts

I'm with zbaird on using helmsman spar urethane. I have refinished two sets of cataracts, one of which was pretty worn by years of use and the sun. Cataract gave me the process, where i sanded w/a abrasive 3m pad, washed the dust away, then fine sanded w/100 grit, wash thoroughly, dry thoroughly, then 3 coats of helmsman, letting each coat dry, then cure for a few days before use. I did not sand between spar coats, but i suppose the finish would be even better. The shafts come out looking like new.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #9

Springfield, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigDog View Post
I'm with zbaird on using helmsman spar urethane. I have refinished two sets of cataracts, one of which was pretty worn by years of use and the sun. Cataract gave me the process, where i sanded w/a abrasive 3m pad, washed the dust away, then fine sanded w/100 grit, wash thoroughly, dry thoroughly, then 3 coats of helmsman, letting each coat dry, then cure for a few days before use. I did not sand between spar coats, but i suppose the finish would be even better. The shafts come out looking like new.
Marshal suggests wet sanding with 220 and 400 so you don't have to deal with airborne particulates. Worked great today and the oars are curing as we speak.
jrice345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Nothing. A rubber donut (usually run above the oarlocks) solves the tether issue
how would that keep the tether ring from getting caught on the blade?
When you ship the oar, the ring of the tether slides down the shaft onto the blade, when you try to put the oar back in the water the ring gets caught and wont slide from the blade to the shaft. Now you have to drop the other oar, get up, free up the ring and get both oars back in the water.
I've given up on my fancy oar tethers and gone back to a simple rope.

Tags
cataract