Insist that BOTH tubes be replaced (1 seam and 2 twist) 23 76.67%
ask for a partial refund for "second" quality 1 3.33%
STFU; there's nothing wrong with them 2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2010   #1

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Cat tubes...Quality Issues?

Just got my tubes recently, and I'm not convinced of the quality of workmanship. So I've decided to get opinions from the good peeps who frequent this forum.
I've never owned a plastic boat before and I've never seen these issues on glued rubber before. The first issue is this seam. Just don't look good to me, and it causes a slight bulge in the side of the tube...

And the second issue is that the tubes have a twist in them. In the second pic you can see that the tube in the left of the pic (which is actually the right tube) you can see that it starts with the front upright and the back leaning to the right. BOTH tubes are twisted like this so that with the tubes straight up in front the backs lean to river left.
What do Y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5040070.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	2580  

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Have you talked to SOTAR?
Old 05-06-2010   #3

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
If the tubes are obviously twisted in such a way that you are unhappy with the look of them, you should return them while the iron is hot. If you are willing to keep them it would not seem unreasonable to ask for some sort of refund. Combined with the seam issue I would have packed them up already. Curious, who made the tubes? How much was the retail asking price?
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010   #4

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Have you talked to SOTAR?
I haven't mentioned any manufacturer.EDIT; Oops! I see the logo on the pic. When I first mentioned it to them I got a condescending reply telling me maybe my expectations were too high and although they would need to see pix to be sure, they were pretty sure they were "first quality tubes"..."the best money can buy".
After I sent those pix, and 7 more, with the statement "I wasn't asking IF there was a quality issue. I was stating what I observed" the response was "I am not sure what you want us to do about the things you observed on your tubes. Please let me know."
And THAT's why I'm asking if my expectations really ARE too high.....or if what I see really is poor quality, as I believe it is.
Old 05-06-2010   #5

billings, Montana
Couldn't see those pics on my ipod. Yipes. Yeah they're twisted and that seam looks funny. They ought to take care of you a little better than that. I don't think your expectations are too high in wanting a symmetrical looking boat with good looking workmanship, that's why you pay top dollar in the first place. I've had similiar cosmetic issues with brand M but always received these boats at a discount and couldn't complain. Full retail is another matter. If you are unhappy, and it sounds like you are, you have every right to ask to return them. They will be able to sell them to someone who is not so discerning, or at a blem price to anyone.
Old 05-06-2010   #6

billings, Montana
Meant to add; Sweet looking frame, some of zorba's stuff?
Old 05-06-2010   #7

Fresno, California
Got a 20% dealer discount passed on from guy I ordered thru. Nothing to do with the mfg. Full retail is around 2300 and I paid just under 1800, but I still expected "first quality" rather than seconds
Old 05-06-2010   #8

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Meant to add; Sweet looking frame, some of zorba's stuff?
Yep, the silver parts are from an NRS frame I had. The rest I cut, bent and welded....and painted. Unfortunately I didn't see the defects till some of the paing rubbed off on the tubes, even after a week curing in the sun. I can still probably clean them with acetone before shipping them back
Old 05-06-2010   #9

billings, Montana
As long as they carry the full warranty and you got them for 500+ off I'd roll with'em. On the other hand, my wd tubes from aire came with the same deal and are perfect. You could probably push to have yours replaced, but it might the last time you get that deal.
Old 05-06-2010   #10

Fresno, California
BTW; Maravia has been trying to sell twisted "seconds" @ 19% off
I first saw this ad before I ordered my tubes in early feb
http://www.maravia.com/frames/main.cfm?page=casdemo
Wasn't looking for seconds