Cat floor options needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2011   #1

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Cat floor options needed

I have gone both ways on a floor for my cat. Right now on my fishing rig I have a sheet of marine grade plywood which is very convenient for setting junk down, dropping stuff, standing up and the like. I have noticed in big water it tends to diminish the performance in terms of hole punching and big waves. For day whitewater trips I have been using an NRS universal frame with footbars and a passenger seat. the passengers always seen wary of the lack of a floor. I have to admit I am too.

So what are my options? diamond plate won't help the performance any more than plywood. Trampolie floors seem like they would catch as much water as wood and metal. I have seen some plastic crate rigs but I am guessing they dimish the performance significantly too.

I am thinking about rigging some type of wire mesh. Something small enough that it isn't an entrapment hazard, something beefy enough to stand on and something thin enough to let the water through and not hurt performance. somethng like fine chain link fencing????

why have I never seen this on any boat?

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011   #2

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Might checkout Polymax for the floor. Needs some intermediate support, but holds no water.

Checkout this thread for a start:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...max-26884.html

There are several more threads discussing the material many of which feature Chip, a do it yourself cat frame guru or sorts and all around good guy.

This is what I have on my small Jack's Plastics cat and it works great.

-George
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #3

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Expanded metal with strap iron welded along sides..... Spend the time and grind away the sharp edges.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
The polymax looks good, and I have seen some guys using trampoline floors on Class V and while not as water-permeable as nothing, it seems to work well. They look to be Jan's or Ray's work and when properly lashed to reduce entrapment probability and adjusted to the correct height(as high as you can get them) they seem better than going down the hatch. Probably stronger than polymax and I have heard Ray at TRS makes bomber gear.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Just go without a floor. You'll slice through everything like a hot knife through butter. You aren't going to fall through (unless you are getting worked and take advantage of "cage swimming"), but you might drop some very valuable licorice. Another good reason, esp if you are stepping it up in difficulty, is if you swim/flip you have that wonderful open are to come up through. I can do a pressup from my cage and throw my butt into my seat in less than a second, licketly split.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
good points. add to that: at lower flows you can also jump down in-between the tubes and pull/push off when you get stuck (talking Salt River low water trips, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Just go without a floor. You'll slice through everything like a hot knife through butter. You aren't going to fall through (unless you are getting worked and take advantage of "cage swimming"), but you might drop some very valuable licorice. Another good reason, esp if you are stepping it up in difficulty, is if you swim/flip you have that wonderful open are to come up through. I can do a pressup from my cage and throw my butt into my seat in less than a second, licketly split.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
i like my mesh floor. soesn't seem to be too grabby when punching a hole, empties very fast, at least. i have an NRS floor right now, simply because it was the right size for my universal frame and was relatively affordable compared to a custom order. when it dies (this will be its 4th season) i will have jan make me a custom one that will likely last the life of the boat.

i have also had JPW make me a custom floor in the past for a fifferent boat, and i can't say enough about the product or their customer service.

i get the argument for a floorless set up, but unless you are in the gnar it just seems like a good way to lose gear.
Old 03-05-2011   #8

Idaho, Wyoming
mesh floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
i like my mesh floor. soesn't seem to be too grabby when punching a hole, empties very fast, at least. i have an NRS floor right now, simply because it was the right size for my universal frame and was relatively affordable compared to a custom order. when it dies (this will be its 4th season) i will have jan make me a custom one that will likely last the life of the boat.

i have also had JPW make me a custom floor in the past for a fifferent boat, and i can't say enough about the product or their customer service.

i get the argument for a floorless set up, but unless you are in the gnar it just seems like a good way to lose gear.

agreed. attatched photo of floor custom built by jan at SNS, approx 3' x 6', secured and adjustable by cam buckles all the way around, tight as a drum, 130 bucks.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #9

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
No floor = "Butter knife" Fits my life.
Old 03-05-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
For a serious boater, heavy duty class IV and V, I would have to say no floor. Especially since I see a pretty gnarly entrapment hazard in the picture above, which happens to be very near that left foot. Not saying you couldn't cut your way out, but would you want to try...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote