Cascade outfitters 20x20 tarp for $550 without straps. Crazy...or crazy good? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 02-27-2012   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Cascade outfitters 20x20 tarp for $550 without straps. Crazy...or crazy good?

My buddy who I split gear with all the time sent me this link to a camp tarp/big top for shade and rain protection.

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...916536&framein

For a 20x20 tarp made of 400 denier pack cloth they charge $550 but you need to spend another 50 for the straps, and another 50 for the center pole strap set up. I thought this was insane money for a tarp. You use the oars for the poles.

Has anyone tried making their own. I own a sewing machine and found what appears to be the same fabric for about $144 for 20x20 plus another 50 for straps.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
We use a tent ground cloth which is made of the same material. We were able to purchase it at REI for 10 bucks at their garage sale as it was just the ground cloth that someone had returned. It is not 20 by 20, more like 15x20... i usually just use parachute cord and trees to put it up. I would suggest you try and buy multiple ground cloths from the garage sale and that way you would have lots of material to work with. I think you'll need to seam seal all of your sewn sections or you will likely get drips...
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #3

the, border
I just ordered a Kelty 16' Noah's tarp from Sierra Trading for less than $50 using an on line special they have right now. Doesn't have the poles and may not be as big, but the price is right. If it looks good when it arrives I may get a second.
flatheadrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012   #4

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
+1 for the noahs tarp. I have one & several of the folks i boat with have them too. Light & many pitching options. Great value. I wouldn't spend the money for the high dollar wings.
Old 02-27-2012   #5

boulder, Colorado
My buddy agreed that it was crazy to spend that kind of money on a tarp. I may just make my own out of the same material, since I know how to sew. I can get 400 denier pack cloth for $6/yard for 59 in. width fabric. It still will work out to about $200 for a 15x15 with straps and all. I like the idea of being able to mount it on the oars.
Old 02-27-2012   #6

Helena, Montana
On my last mfs trip we figured out using loop straps (the kind that you use for coolers/dryboxes) on the corners of the tarp made pitching & adjusting pretty easy.

On mine i also attached small loops of p-cord that just fit the handles on oars.
Old 02-27-2012   #7

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
+2 for the Noah's tarp... I have a smaller one, I think it is 12'. It works well for a small trip, but I typically only use it to sleep under. The 16' is a sweet size, bring big stakes and a lot of guidelines and you should be able to keep it in place if the wind kicks up.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #8

the, border
straps

Good ideas. How long are your straps, I'm thinking of having some 15-20 footers made for this tarp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
On my last mfs trip we figured out using loop straps (the kind that you use for coolers/dryboxes) on the corners of the tarp made pitching & adjusting pretty easy.

On mine i also attached small loops of p-cord that just fit the handles on oars.
flatheadrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #9

Helena, Montana
Well, because we figured it out a couple of days in, we used what we had.

When we got home i made one for each corner of mine- about 18" with the male end. From there you can use any straps you have for the other end. Nice thing is that you can just keep adding straps this you have the right length.
Old 02-28-2012   #10

boulder, Colorado
Thanks for the Noah recommendation. I just bought one. I am a little confused Medic, how did loops on the corners help?