Carlisle Handles - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-01-2010   #1

Butte, Montana
Carlisle Handles

Hey all, seeing as how I am new to this forum....can anyone tell me if the replacement cataract handles will work for a carlisle oar?? Seeing as how you can not find Carlisle Replacement handles anymore????

yathnk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Make sure you get the thick rubber handles. The foam that was on originally is crap and easily damaged. Mine barely lasted a season. I think the replacements I bought were the Carlisle ones.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #3

Butte, Montana
I can't find the carlisle ones anywhere, and I know you used to be able to get them, I really don't want to have to replace the whole shaft when all I need is the handle.... that is why I am wondering if the Cataract replacement handles will work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010   #4

Butte, Montana
Just to let ya know as well, NRS got back to me and the cataract handles they carry will fit into a carlisle.....
Old 04-02-2010   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Do you need the handle or just the grip?

Grip
Replacement Cataract Oar Grip

Handle
Replacement Cataract Oar Handle

These handles should fit the Carlisle shafts I believe.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #6

I broke the handle off my Carlisle oar and took it in to a raft shop and they said that the Carlisle handles are fixed into the shaft and can't be replaced. I spend 1/2 a day trying regardless, but sure enough, I could't get the broken handle out. Obviously, even if a Cataract handle would fit, it is a mute point without getting the broken part out. If you have managed to do this, how? Thanks!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I could have sworn that the district sales rep for Johnson Outdoors was on the Buzz, and made some posts about Carlisle grips still being available.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
They may not be ment to be replaced, but I have done it and also chopped carlisle shafts to shorter sizes and re-installed the handles.

To remove old broken handle, chop off the handle at its base (where it meets the shaft). The inner part of the handle is hollow. Take a big old flat chisel and break out the inards. Get a new handle and epoxy in.

To cut a shaft shorter with a good handle intact:

Cut to length (cut off from the handle end). Now you have discard piece with the handle. Take the discard piece and chop off the shaft about 6" below where the handle base meets the shaft. Take an angle grinder with a cutting disk and make a shallow slice through the shaft (just deep enough to cut through the tubing to the plastic oar handle insert) on either side of the handle, break open the shaft with a screw driver. Now you have to put on a heavy wood sanding disk on your grinder and grinde down the handle insert part about and 1/16th inch around it to fit in the oar shaft. this is done because Beyond the handle insert there is a second inner aluminum tube that the handle is too big for. Once the handle is sanded to fit the smaller diameter inner tube, epoxy into place.

Doing a couple oars takes about an hour start to finish while drinking a couple beers.

Make a clean flush cut with any power miter saw or a skill saw and speed square (it will cut no problem through the aluminum tubing of the shaft)

Angle grinder needed for the rest.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #9

Butte, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Rob View Post
I could have sworn that the district sales rep for Johnson Outdoors was on the Buzz, and made some posts about Carlisle grips still being available.

THE GRIPS ARE STILL AVAILABLE BUT THE HANDLES ARE NOT
Old 04-02-2010   #10

Butte, Montana
I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW GETTING THE HANDLE OUT GOES, GOT A COUPLE IDEAS TO TRY

Tags
carlisle