CARLISLE. Bad news! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2008   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
CARLISLE. Bad news!

JOHNSON OUTDOORS bought Carlisle and has discontinued selling the handle. They want you to buy a whole new $100 oar. They will soon discontinue selling the blade as well. Even though every outfitter in the U.S. has sold out of them (the market exists and the need is there!), you cannot buy the replacement parts for the Carlisle oars.
Look, instead, to CATARACT OARS . Cataract oars are strong, lightweight and, best of all, you can buy the component you need instead of being forced to purchase a whole, new system at ten times the cost. I have Cataracts as well and they sell a great product.

laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
That is so screwed up. The market is bigger then it ever has been since they have been making that stuff. Price and the ability replace parts was Carlisle's best selling point. Looks like my company won't be needing anymore Carlisle products.
Old 04-26-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Those terrorists! Does anyone know if you can still find spare parts anywhere? Did this just happen?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I wanted Cataract oars anyway for the better feel.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
News flash, Carlisle was purchased by Johnson Outdoors years ago this is not news.

Yes, we do not sell replacement handles, this is something I am trying to change but the fact of the matter is the handles are hard as shit to replace.

There is absolutely ZERO truth to the blades, we are NOT and I repeat we are not discontinuing the blades.

Laughing Water before you go around spreading false rumors, do a little research.

Danny Andres
Johnson Outdoors Rep for the Rocky Mountain Territory.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #6

Mr. Andres,

I apologize.

I know first-hand about the oar handles. I called your company directly and was informed by "customer service", with some disdain, that Johnson Outdoors was no longer selling handles. I called several national outfitters today to see if they still had a handle. They were all sold out. Does it make any sense, I wonder, to discontinue a product for which there is a strong market? This might seem to be, to the average observer, to be an attempt to "stick it", as they say, to the consumer. Two of the outfitters informed me that they are reconsidering their continued relationship with Carlisle oars. And this, primarily because of Carlisle's lack of concern about their customers. You will find that I am not the only one who has posted here regarding Carlisle's "customer service". If you search the web, you will find disparaging remarks on outfitters web-sites about Carlisle's product. But, as Carlisle seems to be the 800 pound gorilla in this market, I imagine they won't even notice a few disgruntled consumers.

Again, I apologize for passing on what I have heard "blowing in the wind" about Carlisle blades. I wondered myself about the validity of that point, but it seemed plausible given the issue of the handles.

To date, I have replaced one oar handle myself and have a friend who replaced two. Anyone with average intelligence and access to basic, household tools can easily replace an oar handle. It makes me wonder, too, that an employee of a company would publically announce that his company's product is "hard as shit" to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
News flash, Carlisle was purchased by Johnson Outdoors years ago this is not news.

Yes, we do not sell replacement handles, this is something I am trying to change but the fact of the matter is the handles are hard as shit to replace.

There is absolutely ZERO truth to the blades, we are NOT and I repeat we are not discontinuing the blades.

Laughing Water before you go around spreading false rumors, do a little research.

Danny Andres
Johnson Outdoors Rep for the Rocky Mountain Territory.
Old 04-27-2008   #7

Chasing H2O, CO
Paddling Since: 0001
WTF?

Quote:
To date, I have replaced one oar handle myself and have a friend who replaced two. Anyone with average intelligence and access to basic, household tools can easily replace an oar handle. It makes me wonder, too, that an employee of a company would publically announce that his company's product is "hard as shit" to work with.
Please dear sir, before you go insulting folks and implying some under-handed notion about their intelligence, LEARN TO F-ING SPELL. Your credibility tends to be less acceptable when you spell like a buffoon. While you may think you're off the hook because you live in C. Springs and things are a little slower to evolve down there, please consider your audience before you make such ASSumptions.

Your research methodology and data gathered are questionable at best. You spoke to shop employees and customer service reps who may or may not have been able to provide you with 100% accurate data - as documented in your original post that the paddle blades were soon to be discontinued - and then went crying about it on a public forum in an attempt to bash one company and promote another. Consider for a moment that your assumption about why "every outfitter in the US is sold out of them" ( you later stated that you called several - not all ) is incorrect (
Quote:
the market exists and the need is there!
) and that there's a possibility that these parts have been discontinued longer than the 30 seconds it took you to discover it and post about it on an internet forum. (just like you assumed the purchase of Carlisle just went down) As a result, outfitters may have sold through their existing inventory in that time and as such, they are now out of stock.

Then you proceed to call out a representative of the company who merely is trying to clear the air and stop any false rumors from being spread? First you apologize to him, then you underhandedly end your rant with a quote and an implication that he shouldn't be posting on a public forum as a representative of the brand on such negative issues. His "hard as shit" statement likely came from those same sources that you gathered your data from - the shop employees themselves. You complain about customer service, and then this guy takes time out of his life to help provide just that, and then you continue to bitch about it and make semi-personal attacks on him?

Have fun with the on-going process of buying back your credibility. Why don't you start with an authentic apology rather than a tounge in cheek one that is as transparent as your rowing skills. How ironic that if you took the time to consider your words, much like your line on a river, that you wouldn't be sitting there like a broken oar handle...useless and unrepairable.

Nuff said
Datju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
It makes me wonder, too, that an employee of a company would publically announce that his company's product is "hard as shit" to work with.
And I have to wonder about what kind of agenda someone has when they log onto the Buzz for the first time and proceed to make their first posts disparaging of one brand of oar and sounding like Cataract Oar advertisements. Indeed a couple of your posts (I deleted one of the duplicates) used identical text, bold fonts, and emoticons.

Danny's been a member of this online community for a long time and has added a lot of good dialog - and to his credit I don't think I've ever seen him bashing his competition's products.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #9

Thank you for your comments, Sir, as regards semi-personal attacks. This buffoon will keep them in mind when composing future posts. Oh, and thank you so much for pointing out, too, my abhorrent lack of rowing skills. I'll work diligently on that shortcoming. Good day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datju View Post
Please dear sir, before you go insulting folks and implying some under-handed notion about their intelligence, LEARN TO F-ING SPELL. Your credibility tends to be less acceptable when you spell like a buffoon. While you may think you're off the hook because you live in C. Springs and things are a little slower to evolve down there, please consider your audience before you make such ASSumptions.

Your research methodology and data gathered are questionable at best. You spoke to shop employees and customer service reps who may or may not have been able to provide you with 100% accurate data - as documented in your original post that the paddle blades were soon to be discontinued - and then went crying about it on a public forum in an attempt to bash one company and promote another. Consider for a moment that your assumption about why "every outfitter in the US is sold out of them" ( you later stated that you called several - not all ) is incorrect () and that there's a possibility that these parts have been discontinued longer than the 30 seconds it took you to discover it and post about it on an internet forum. (just like you assumed the purchase of Carlisle just went down) As a result, outfitters may have sold through their existing inventory in that time and as such, they are now out of stock.

Then you proceed to call out a representative of the company who merely is trying to clear the air and stop any false rumors from being spread? First you apologize to him, then you underhandedly end your rant with a quote and an implication that he shouldn't be posting on a public forum as a representative of the brand on such negative issues. His "hard as shit" statement likely came from those same sources that you gathered your data from - the shop employees themselves. You complain about customer service, and then this guy takes time out of his life to help provide just that, and then you continue to bitch about it and make semi-personal attacks on him?

Have fun with the on-going process of buying back your credibility. Why don't you start with an authentic apology rather than a tounge in cheek one that is as transparent as your rowing skills. How ironic that if you took the time to consider your words, much like your line on a river, that you wouldn't be sitting there like a broken oar handle...useless and unrepairable.

Nuff said
Old 04-27-2008   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Danny thanks for the corection. I was going to order some parts in the next couple weeks, that freaked me out. I should have known the info wasn't true when it didn't come from you.

Tags
carlisle