Cargo frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-22-2012   #1

Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
Cargo frame

So I plan on building a cargo frame for a 15'6" Sotar Legend for the long hauls (Grand, etc...). I have the resources to fabricate, weld, etc... but would appreciate some input from y'all. I'm thinking of a similar design to the Recretec cargo frame (pictured here), but with an extra bay where marked that would be identical to the rower's "leg" bay, and not include those "splash guard" footrests that are marked with the "X's." Also, should I weld it all or keep it as a breakdown model like the original design? I'm thinking welded. The overall length for a "5bay" would be appx. 8'6" long. That leaves 3'6" of cat tube extending past the frame on each end. Please let me hear your comments. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat frame1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	4556  

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
The oarstands will end up either toward the front or the rear of the frame depending on where you sit and which direction you row. I've seen some catboaters, especially those in Idaho, sit and row toward the front with the load and passengers behind. I prefer the oars stands to be in the middle of the boat
Old 04-22-2012   #3

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
With the modular designs come flexibility. I have had the exact design you are contemplating. Good big water design. Went modular with the last bay and was glad I did. Front load the boat easily done, move the module to the rear to even out the load. Short trips, leave the module home... $.02
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012   #4

I built a frame for a 16.8 legend, and am just finishing a frame for a 14 foot legend. Be careful of your overall length, remembering the legend has quite a bit of rocker compared to some cat tubes. Make sure you do not overrun the chaff strips. I elected to run a trailer off the back end of the big boat, which gives you much of the versatility of a modular, and can be sized exactly for your drybox. I ran a double rail, I think 78 or 80 wide on the big boat, and found 10 foot oars to be a bit short. That design you lay out seems to have a lot of floor space. Remember that much of the beauty of a cat is not having a floor. Weigh down a cat and it becomes a pain in the ass to row. If you need a floor, you should get a raft.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #5

Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
I am used to rowing "Idaho style" with my NRS setup I have now. If I make this frame with the 5 bays, I could row the same way, or row from the rear with most of the heavier gear and passenger in the front. Not sure which row style is better for a Grand Canyon style trip or if it is just a matter of opinion. I have a 14' Sotar ST Elite cat right now w/7'frame, but will be getting the 15'6" (maybe custom to 16") Sotar Legend tubes. I am concerned about the difference in rocker between the two designs, and will hold off on final frame decisions until I actually get the tubes, but am hoping that I can get away with a 66" wide 8'6" long frame. I forgot to mention that I don't plan on having floors on this frame, but will have scout bars instead. Like I said, the picture is a reference, but seems ideal for what I want; organized space/storage, easy access, and comfortable.
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Be aware of which passengers you might smack if the oar handles ever rip out of your grip
Old 04-22-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Not sure of the shape of the sotar tubes but i run a 12' frame on an 18' aire leopard

I guess if you can weld and bend you can extend the frame past the flats.

I'd make It breakdown but far more tight and rigid then the recretec.

Also use shallower dryboxes as the cats meow's belly droops low and unless you run only big water, you will bottom it out on anything less than 28" tubes
Old 04-22-2012   #8

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Ditto on having the oars in the center. I would do the following:
Bay 1: Drybox
Bay 2: Cooler
Bay 3: Oarsman
Bay 4: Drybox (as seat)
Bay 5: Dropbag with table for cover

You can move the bays around as you see fit, but I like the oars in the center of the raft. My 16ft GC rig was setup with four bays:
Bay 1: Drop bag is seat
Bay 2: Rower and two captains boxes
Bay 3: Cooler (as seat)
Bay 4: Drop Bag with table
Although it was a raft, I loved the setup and could see it working on a cat too.

Also as far as modular goes, you may want to think abut the type of river you are running most often and design a frame to fit, then build a trailer frame to setup for the big ditch and other longer runs.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I run a 14 X 24 Cat with a 66 X 96 NRS frame with 5 bays. Cooler, rower bay, flip seat over a dry box, cargo bay, second dry box. 96 inches is the max frame length for my cat and I use every inch to my advantage. I had Partner Steel make my dry boxes to my specs. and as Avatard pointed out, I made them a bit more shallow. I also prefer a more centered rowing position.
My rafting buddy runs a 14 X 24 cat with a Recretec frame similar to the one in your picture. 4 bays with no splash guards. 2 dry boxes, rower bay, and cargo/passenger foot bay.
I'll attach a few pictures. Not the best views but you can get an idea. The Teal cat is mine, and the dark green is my buddy's. In one picture, he has un-latched and removed the kitchen dry box that we take to camp.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Kj is your flip seat from aaainflatables? If you remove the cooler/drybox, flip the seat, and then suspend it level where ideally it would be resting on the box, what is the elevation from the top of the crossbar to the bottom of the plate? (ideally you'd have a foam or rubber spacer in here to prevent marring from the seatbolts