Captain's Boxes/Rocket Boxes - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-12-2007   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Captain's Boxes/Rocket Boxes

I have a 14' boat, stuffed to the gills. I am looking to obtain more space by mounting two rocket boxes on either side of my legs in the foot compartment of my 4 bay frame. Here's the trouble: they must sit low, near the floor so as to allow full range of motion of the oars. When they are mounted this low I can't access the latching mechanisms, requiring them to be removed to be opened. Has anyone seen a modified lid on a rocket box that allows them to latch on the long side with a hinge on the opposite side? Any other solutions come to mind? Thanks in advance.

mountaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007   #2

Captin

Check out cambrige welding in idaho. They can custum build side boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincrash View Post
I have a 14' boat, stuffed to the gills. I am looking to obtain more space by mounting two rocket boxes on either side of my legs in the foot compartment of my 4 bay frame. Here's the trouble: they must sit low, near the floor so as to allow full range of motion of the oars. When they are mounted this low I can't access the latching mechanisms, requiring them to be removed to be opened. Has anyone seen a modified lid on a rocket box that allows them to latch on the long side with a hinge on the opposite side? Any other solutions come to mind? Thanks in advance.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Those cambridge boxes are nice, but real pricey. In my foot well I hang the DRE captains bags, which are NOT dry. The not dry part sucks, so you need to use smaller dry bags and boxes in them, depending on what you keep there . The other advantage besides price is they are soft and won't bang up your legs. I am a big proponent of rigging a padded raft.

I have a bunch of those twist lock dry box catches, if you can figure how to use them to close a rocket box. I wonder if a standard box could hinge sideways.

Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007   #4

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Not sure if this will help but i put my crap boxes down there strapped to a plywood floor i hang from the frame. Those only come out or get opened at camp and that give some space elsewhere.\

What up Mr. Frank
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #5

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
Yes, they do, or did make ammo boxes with a solid hinge down the long side.

Mine are WW2 era,
Old 04-12-2007   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Found side latch ammos cans: https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...View.php?id=47
These look kinda cool. Wonder how much shipping is?

I just got the NRS Saddle bag. Have not used it yet, but looke like a nice add to my boat. The shell is not as tough os a dry bag, but it has lots of options for oar and paddle raft.
NRS - NRS Saddle Bag
Old 04-23-2007   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Solved...

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up installing some additional tubing and fittings to create to other compartments to the side of my feet. This allows me to sling-load anything I want in there, rocket-box, dry bag, etc. It's not soft, but nicely rounded and easily padded.

Thanks again.
mountaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincrash View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up installing some additional tubing and fittings to create to other compartments to the side of my feet. This allows me to sling-load anything I want in there, rocket-box, dry bag, etc. It's not soft, but nicely rounded and easily padded.

Thanks again.
Could you post a photo or two of your setup....I have the same issues, someday I will pickup a couple of those nice aluminum captain boxes but in the meantime....
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote