Captain Dry Box the Same Width as an Ammo Can - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Captain Dry Box the Same Width as an Ammo Can

Does anyone make a dry box the same width as an ammo can? I see that frontierplay makes what they call a Captain's dry box, but I was only wanting to buy one, and it is a little wider than an ammo can. I want to put the groover holding ammo cans on the other side of my feet bay. Ideally it would be the size of two ammo cans when they are mounted front to back. I would just like something that is a little easier to get in and out of. I haven't munched my fingers yet, but just like swimming, I know it is going to happen.

Also, does anyone have a pic on what is the best way to mount an ammo can into a frame? What size straps did you use? And is it still somewhat easy to access the contents?

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
You can make custom size boxes through many fabricators like AAA, DRE, boatworks in Idaho, etc. I warn you it will be pricey. I special ordered both of my captain boxes to size through AAA, they missed the size by 1/4 of an inch (miscommunication) but I made it work. So when you order special size, be as specific as possible! Custom boxes will run you around $240-290 per box.

This is how I mount 4 (2 20mm rocket boxes, 2 30mm ammo cans and a jug of water) in my front bay:

I put the table on top and strap it down. This setup has been flipped in Westwater and swam upside down through Skull and Bowling alley without any problems.

Alex
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Alex, what kind of drop bag is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
You can make custom size boxes through many fabricators like AAA, DRE, boatworks in Idaho, etc. I warn you it will be pricey. I special ordered both of my captain boxes to size through AAA, they missed the size by 1/4 of an inch (miscommunication) but I made it work. So when you order special size, be as specific as possible! Custom boxes will run you around $240-290 per box.

This is how I mount 4 (2 20mm rocket boxes, 2 30mm ammo cans and a jug of water) in my front bay:

I put the table on top and strap it down. This setup has been flipped in Westwater and swam upside down through Skull and Bowling alley without any problems.

Alex
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Kaz, what's in the bottom there? Is that from a set of plastic shelves?
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
In in the picture is just the 20mm ammo can, but my captain boxes are AAA:

Old 05-14-2010   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
Kaz, what's in the bottom there? Is that from a set of plastic shelves?
PolyMax Poultry Overlapping/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek

Do a search for PolyMax on this forum, there are quite a few discussions about it. Works great, light, no maintenance and sturdy for the strap reinforced floor.
Old 05-14-2010   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks Kazak. Sounds like good stuff. Just seems a little pricey to me. Maybe if I didn't have 4 drop bags, and only had one it'd seem more reasonable. I need to do something with the bottom of the drop bags before the full groovers punch holes with their corners.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote