Canyon Coolers??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2012   #1

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Canyon Coolers???

Hi -

I am in the market for a new cooler and think it would be great to hang it off the cross bars. Does anyone have any experience with the canyon coolers? We don't have a shop near us that carries them so I am going in blind any reviews or feedback would be great.

Are they as bomber as the yeti?
Any draw backs?
Any cracking or problems with hanging them on only the bar?
Is the hardware / build quality?

Thanks
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I have one of the predecessor coolers from Galaxy, and that is bomber. I hang mine from the the sides where the rope is and haven't had any problems. The ice retention is phenomenal, sometimes ranging to 4-5 weeks. I have the butterfly style latches on mine (drybox style) and haven't had problems. Another buddy of mine has the black rubber bar style on his and they have been an issue, but it looks like Canyon has gone to a third style.

This is an updated version of what I have:
160 Pro Grade -White [CC160Q_PL_White] - $419.99 : Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I have one. Same as brandob9, I hang mine on the cross bars. It's bomber and an awesome cooler. I have the old Galaxy cooler as well, but as I understand Canyon cooler is the same thing as Galaxy.

Older Yetis are 1" lid, Canyon is 2". Yeti has legs on the bottom = no dragging, Canyon has sliding rails to drag on asphalt/dirt. Yeti has rubber latches which break down with UV exposure, Canyon has metal dry box latches. For Yeti you need a drop bag or straps to hang, Canyon hangs on its sides. The older Yetis weren't air tight due to the gaskets, Canyon is. I believe Yeti has fixed the problem with the 2010+ models. Might want to check on it. Price is about the same, when I bought mine, Canyon was 30 bucks cheaper (new).

Alex
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012   #4

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the info. They look tuff.

I did not notice that the bottom of the lip is 14.87 up from the bottom of the cooler (Distance that it hangs down). I have everything set for 12" and the larger cooler will just not fit.

Has anyone tried the new NRS coolers (Not to hang).

Thanks again.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #5

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Canyon Coolers

Are the rope handles and hinges molded into the canyon coolers? The (older?) canyon cooler I saw did not appear to have these features. I could not buy a cooler without them. I did love the no legs feature drag friendly design. The new coolers look very nice I can't wait to check them out in person.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There are three models of Canyon Coolers, each with different features and different dimensions. We are closing out our inventory on these coolers and only have three left. 1 - 90 St Pro Grade, 1 - 158 Qt Pro Grade, and 1 - 126 Qt Outfitter Long. These are discounted 20% off retail price. These are new and are good coolers, for the money I would recommend them and would not hestitate to own one if they would fit my frame and boat. We are discutining stocking them because of odd sizing and only being able to carry two brands Engel and NRS.

If interested, please call us for prices and specs.
Old 06-28-2012   #7

Beaverton, Oregon
I got around the odd sizing by raising the contact point with my frame with spare speedrail tees. YMMV.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #8

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Kazak4x4 You need to check the specs on the Yeti coolers The older sherpa models have a 2" thick lid, the tundra has a 3" I never had any problem with the seals or latches,also the rubber feet can be changed to glides. I looked at a Canyon cooler just the other day. They do look great! The latches may pull off the cooler with time because they are screwed on.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
jp, ya I was wrong by an inch. When I was doing my research sherpa did have 2" while Canyon (Galaxy) was 3". I just remember it was an inch less.

I personally saw 3 coolers (2 commercial and one private) with latches broken off and the rest in bad condition.

I have 4 buddies with Yeti coolers and whenever I help them with their coolers, we have to carry them, none of them have slides on them. Extra upgrade perhaps?
Old 06-29-2012   #10

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Kaza have your buddys check the yeti web site ,the have a vidieo on how to get rid of the rubber feet.The glides are cheap to.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote