Canyon Cooler question - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-01-2011   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Canyon Cooler question

I just got a Canyon Cooler and have a question for other Canyon cooler owners. My new Sailor 105 model has a pretty substantial lip below the latches that looks like I can suspend it from on my frame crossbars. Kind of like the hang tabs on my dry boxes. Is this how others carry theirs? Do you still use support straps/drop bags/etc. underneath the cooler? Just wondering if that lip alone is enough support for a loaded cooler if I get the cross bars adjusted right.

KJ

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Not sure about the latch/hinge sides, but I definitely suspend mine from the molded handle ends on the decks of my 12', which, BTW are way better for cooler handling than the ropes.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
The "sailor"s are gone so I can't look at the pictures. E-mail info@canyoncoolers.com and I'm sure they can help.....or post a pic of the front and back of the cooler and the lip you are talking about. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
I must have got the last one until they get more in the spring. They only had a few left.
The Sailor is a smaller version of the Bomber. There's about a 1 inch lip all the way around, under the hinges/latches/ends. I'm not sure if that lip is adequate for suspension of a loaded cooler. I currently use a drop bag for my Igloo cooler. I was just wondering if I could get away without the drop bag or straps.
I noticed the molded in handles on the cooler ends. A good back-up to the rope handles. And I am so glad that this cooler has the skids on the bottom and not those stupid rubber feet like the Yeti coolers. I had a smaller Yeti once and those suckers drove me nuts when loading the cooler in the trailer.
Old 11-01-2011   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
I would support it with 3 ea. 1" straps or 2 ea. 1.5" straps. or use the drop bag and just put some 1" straps under the bag and cooler to help support it all. The lip on the cooler will help as well.
Old 11-02-2011   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Kathy, that's exactly how I carry my cooler. I put two loop straps on top. I've adjusted my cross bars very tightly to suspend the cooler from the lip. You are welcome to stop by again and look

I had my boat upside down with cooler in that position and everything stayed in place. Also the cooler is a solid platform, even when straps are undone for my kids to run all over it without twisting ankles.

Alex

PS: That lip was a selling point for me to get that cooler.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm going the drop bag method for mine. I contemplated squeezing the bars down on that lip, but then my decking prevents the lid from opening all the way. Also, I went with a smaller one(65 QT) which doesn't have quite the surface area yours probably does. Another reason I went the drop bag method was so I have assurance it's locked in from underneath if somehow the frame were to flex enough for it to slip the cooler's ledge/lip. Probably very unlikely, but the unexpected usually happens to me.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Thanks Alex & Pirate. That's what I needed to know.
Since I'm in a Cat, any frame problem would mean that the cooler was potenially in the river, not just sitting on the raft floor. Something to ponder. But it's good to know from Alex that the lips alone would support the cooler just fine with the proper cross bar placement.
KJ
Old 11-02-2011   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I've had my cooler like that since I got my boat back in 2009. I haven't had any problems and really don't see how it would slip through. It's jammed in there!

With a cat, it might be safer to put a drop bag or straps under though. Never hurts to have double protection.

What I didn't like about cooler sitting on straps on my previous boat is the cooler rotation once you step on the end of it. I almost twisted my ankle once and wanted to make sure the next cooler I have will be completely stable.

Alex
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I've had my cooler like that since I got my boat back in 2009. I haven't had any problems and really don't see how it would slip through. It's jammed in there!

Alex
From your WW video you put up yesterday, it looks like your frame is bombproof with double rails and captains boxes. For me, this cooler is going in a basic NRS Bighorn frame on a daytrip boat that's got a little flex. Likelihood of a crap-out are a little higher... at least in my head. Plus I've been using dropbags on my cat since I started. The wife and usual passengers are familiar with rigging those properly. I guess it's one of those "stick with what you know" moments.

Note - I did try the strap method, and quickly saw the potential for disaster. The first time the 25 lb dog hopped on top, the cooler flopped enough that she ended up in my lap. I pulled the straps, and just ran the rest of the day with it resting on the floor.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote