Canyon 128 Cooler - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-26-2011   #1

mass, confusion
Paddling Since: 2009
Canyon 128 Cooler

Anyone have one of these that would be willing to measure it and give me the width of the cooler 12 1/2" from the bottom? This would be my frame opening. I need it to be 17"" or less to make my desired frame design work with all my intended gadgetry. If not, I will have to decide between changing my frame and or gadgetry or ponying up more coinage for a narrower Yeti cooler with less capacity.

Also, this cooler will stick up above my frame about 7 1/8". It will be in the bay in front of the rowers cockpit. I have a DRE captain's chair and their oar stands and towers. Any thoughts on oar or hand interference? I stacked some stuff up and put a plastic box I have in there at 7" and 7 1/2" above the frame. It didn't seem like it was going to be a problem, but this was in my garage and not on the water.

Aengus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think you would be fine. I dont think my hands ever reach in front of my feet while rowing. Your arms are always going to be above your legs and the tops of your thighs probably close to that elevation, unless maybe if using an nrs seat bar
Old 12-27-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
My oars sometimes do, go in front of my feet that is. I have two bays in front of me, and if i didn't there's no way i could have a seat there. I strongly encourage you to maintain full free swing of your oars, even if you think that your oars won't go there. Having a passenger that tall in front will be a drag, hard to see around
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd suggest shooting off an e-mail to Canyon Coolers for the measurements. I'm sure they would be able to help you out. 7 inches above the frame seems a little high. Are you sure about that measurement? How are you suspending the cooler? With the cross bars, dropbag, cooler sling? I just got a Canyon Sailor 105. I'll have to go out to my boat shed to see how it measures from the lip (under the latches & handles) where it would rest on the cross bars, to the top of the lid. Not sure how this would compare to the 128 Bomber, but it might be similar? Just eyeballing 7 inches on a ruler seems kind of high.
As for knuckle-busting, that depends on a lot of things......length of your rower space, height of your seat & oar towers, length of oars????? I think in 10 years of rowing, I've hit my knuckles on my cooler or dry box a few times, not a lot.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #5

mass, confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'd suggest shooting off an e-mail to Canyon Coolers for the measurements. I'm sure they would be able to help you out. 7 inches above the frame seems a little high. Are you sure about that measurement? How are you suspending the cooler? With the cross bars, dropbag, cooler sling? I just got a Canyon Sailor 105. I'll have to go out to my boat shed to see how it measures from the lip (under the latches & handles) where it would rest on the cross bars, to the top of the lid. Not sure how this would compare to the 128 Bomber, but it might be similar? Just eyeballing 7 inches on a ruler seems kind of high.
As for knuckle-busting, that depends on a lot of things......length of your rower space, height of your seat & oar towers, length of oars????? I think in 10 years of rowing, I've hit my knuckles on my cooler or dry box a few times, not a lot.
KJ
They are out of the coolers.

Drop bag most likely. Top of tube to floor is approx 12". Cooler is 19.75 OAH minus 1.625 frame pipe od minus 11" drop = 7.125" above frame. Might could drop it a little closer than 1" off the floor.

I think I will go ahead and buy the drop bag and row it with something stacked up that high in that bay simulating the cooler. I don't think it is going to be an issue.

I could go with that Sailor 105 @ 16" OAH.

Just noticing on the Yeti website that their 110 shows to have a capacity of 24.1 gallons. Doesn't that make it a 96.4 quart?
Old 12-27-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I looked at the Canyon website, and the Bomber is quite a bit taller than the Sailor, so I can see your problem. I searched & debated a lot about maximizing cooler volume with a less expensive cooler versus a smaller, higher end cooler. I stumbled upon the Sailor which is a sturdier cooler with a decent size for the space I have on my frame. The price wasn't quite as high as a Yeti, so I'm hoping that I made a wise choice. Next summer's trips will tell the tale. It's a shame that the Canyon folks can't give you the specs you need. I feel your pain.....I also suffer from frame tinkering syndrome.
Good luck. I hope your calculations work out.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #7

mass, confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I looked at the Canyon website, and the Bomber is quite a bit taller than the Sailor, so I can see your problem. I searched & debated a lot about maximizing cooler volume with a less expensive cooler versus a smaller, higher end cooler. I stumbled upon the Sailor which is a sturdier cooler with a decent size for the space I have on my frame. The price wasn't quite as high as a Yeti, so I'm hoping that I made a wise choice. Next summer's trips will tell the tale. It's a shame that the Canyon folks can't give you the specs you need. I feel your pain.....I also suffer from frame tinkering syndrome.
Good luck. I hope your calculations work out.
KJ
I am thinking about that Sailor 105. They show on the website that they will have those in February, but I think I want the 128. I don't think the height above frame is going to be an issue. I will probably wait until they get them in and get the measurement from them. They have been extremely helpful every time I have contacted them. I was hoping someone might chime in that has one.
Old 12-27-2011   #8

Bailey, Colorado
I have a 120 qt Yeti and a DRE captain's chair set-up as you are describing. The cooler sits about 7 inches above the frame. I carry a 5 gallon plastic jerry can for water on each side of the cooler. Even with a 2” paco pad strapped on top as padding for passengers, I have never had a problem with the height of the cooler. The cooler is suspended with loop straps and secured over the top with loop straps.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Beaver. -- your response doesnt show on the mobile app. I had to hit quote to read it. Are you using an odd colored font or odd font?
Old 12-28-2011   #10

Bailey, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Beaver. -- your response doesnt show on the mobile app. I had to hit quote to read it. Are you using an odd colored font or odd font?
Since I can't spell with a darn anymore, I typed response in Word then cut and pasted. Probably where problem came from. Sorry.
Beaver Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote