Can I paint an old SOTAR? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-18-2010   #1
Creo en la Chupacabra

AK, Alaska
Can I paint an old SOTAR?

Hello! I'm new here and just acquired my first raft. It's a top of the line 1986 SOTAR that's as old as I am and from the looks of it it's been used hard. She's a Peach!!

Anyways, it's made of PVC and I am wondering if I can paint the top to improve looks and possibly help seal pinholes (although it seems to hold air amazingly well). Anyone know the best way to do this/would you recommend it. I know options are Gaco or inland marine raft paint. I know some about Gaco and I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the marine raft paint? You can see it here Boat Protectant Inflatable Raft and Boat Paint

Thanks for the input!

JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Did this about a year ago on a 1992 Sotar II (urethane, not PVC). Check out this thread: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...oop-19389.html

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sotars are urethane, not PVC. Are you sure you're is PVC (maybe way back in the day they did?). Call Cheryl at Sotar, she'll dial you up on a recommended solution.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010   #4
Creo en la Chupacabra

AK, Alaska
Laurie thanks for the great info! I will use flexane on the bottom of my tubes to give it some new life.

From a strictly cosmetic standpoint I am still wondering about painting it with the inflatable raft paint. Does anyone have experience with it? It says the quart will cover 150 sq/ft so I figure for $35 it could be worth it?

I called Cheryl yesterday and gave her the serial number. After her initial reaction "Whoa, that's an old boat!" she confirmed it is made of PVC- before the era of urethane.
Old 03-18-2010   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
You can get liquid lexatron from Sotar if you are running a urethane boat, it's good for pinhole leaks and comes in every color they made rafts in. You apply it to the pinhole leaks or around patch jobs. A little bit goes a long way and the stuff dries up pretty fast in storage so use it all when you get it.

As far a painting a raft to improve looks, I think that's the worst idea I ever heard. If your boat has a lot of grey spots you can get some MEK at the hardware store and use it sparingly on things like scuffs and frame marks but be aware that the stuff is actually stripping a thin layer of urethane off and revealing the better looking urethane beneath it. I have done it to get frame marks off and also to remove logos.

Just find the pinholes with soapy water, mark them with a marker or with tape if they are in an area you can see, then clean that area good with MEK, then while the raft doesn't have much pressure in it, apply liquid lex with a brush. They have liquid lex in all the colors that their rafts come in.

If I wanted to improve a Sotar to handle wear I might consider installing hypalon runners on the bottom running the length of the boat along the waterline if there is a lot of wear, or even ordering lexatron patches to do this same thing with- if you do that then the boat will remain slick on the bottom- one of the best things about Sotar, but other than that I wouldn't mess with it. It is hard to get anything to stick to the super-slick urethane, patches, paint, anything, so I would be very concerned that any brush on treatment would not stay on long, I certainly wouldn't expect it to improve looks.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
I called Cheryl yesterday and gave her the serial number. After her initial reaction "Whoa, that's an old boat!" she confirmed it is made of PVC- before the era of urethane.
Dang, you've got yourself an experienced Sotar!
Old 03-18-2010   #7
Creo en la Chupacabra

AK, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Dang, you've got yourself an experienced Sotar!
Yeah, she's been around, but I 'm pretty sure we're soulmates. That's why I want to dress her up and make her feel pretty. Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Used but still beautiful!
Old 03-18-2010   #8
Creo en la Chupacabra

AK, Alaska
Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has any experience using this: Boat Protectant Inflatable Raft and Boat Paint

Thanks!