Can anyone compare some of the more current playboat models on the market? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-23-2018   #1

Can anyone compare some of the more current playboat models on the market?

I'm in the market for a new (well, more likely 2nd hand) playboat.

Used to have a 2010 Star which I loved. Outgrew it a bit and went to a 2013 Star, which was sold as an in between size as compared to the '10 Star and '12 Rockstar. I was never quite sure if I "loved" that boat as much as the 2010 but it's what I had so I paddled it anyway for a couple of years and just sold it today. There's little play around where I live these days and I was topping out the weight range anyway.

I want to grab a Medium playboat to replace it. Should be a bit better for when I want to run rivers in it, and I'm sure I can learn to throw a bigger boat around with some practice on Park & Play days.

I'm around 5'10, 160. I'm looking out for 2nd hand boats right now. Really I'm open to most/any of the newer models out there.

I paddled a Jistu 5.9 last year and it was fine - didn't love or hate it. Was able to cartwheel it straight away on flat water which was encouraging after stepping up from small -> medium playboats. There was one for sale near me for the same price I just sold my Star.

I've never paddled either 14 or 16 Rockstars. The 16 looks to be a touch smaller so potentially easier to transition Small - Medium, and it seems more similar to the 2010 which I loved, but it might be out of my price range.

Never paddled a Jed, was never a huge fan of how heavy Burn/Molan plastic + outfitting was but that's an apples-oranges comparison to the Jed I imagine.

I'm looking for the most all round boat I can find at a decent price, a balance of wave/hole/river running. Obviously they're not perfectly suited for river running but I used to paddle III-IV happily in my '10 Star and even prefer it to a big boat on most water. I also have a Mamba now for real river running so I'm not interested in a River Play boat like a Fun/Loki etc.

daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2018   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
The 2010 Allstar is a nice size step up from the 2010 Star, and is more playful than the over inflated bubble like 2013 Star series. 2010 Allstars can usually be found on the cheap. One of my boys has owned/paddled the 2014 and 2016 Rockstars and definitely prefers the 2016. As you note the 2016 Rockstar M is a touch smaller than the 2010 Allstar. He had a Jed med for a short time but he's tall (6'1") and prefers the fit and footroom of the Rockstar.
With the recent release of the 4.0 Rockstar, it's likely you'll see more 2016 Rockstars for sale (Medium seems to be the most common size) for sale for better prices than in the past.
Here's two pics of a 2007 Star, 2010 Allstar, and a 2016 Rockstar M for a visual reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	31399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3925.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	31401  

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018   #3

Thanks. I'm sure someone somewhere has a 2010 All-Star in great condition in their garage just collecting dust and waiting to be bought by me.... But they haven't made themselves known yet.
daithi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark