Camp table opinions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-19-2008   #1

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Camp table opinions

Hey peeps... anyone have any prob's with the Canyon aluminum roll-up tables? will my margs spill? will my dog get crushed under the collapsing table?

Tyler

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008   #2

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Blown away

As a lightweight nut, I use a small one as the cook-and-serve center for small groups (2-4). For more people, the extended-cab version might work well. For large groups, the heavy $$ steelframe models that rig as deckboards are the ticket.

On the Canyon tables the leg setup is a bit delicate: I wouldn't plunk a big dutch oven on the top (but you can set stoves & hot pots on the metal— nice.) No durability problems so far, but they should be handled with reasonable care.

The only issue is that they're so light that a gust can tip them over or even carry them off (with drinks & chips: ugly). I attach a boat strap to an anchor (watercan, stuffsack with sand, bucket of water, big rock, etc.) and run it snug on a diagonal through the leg joints or through the top slats, dead center. Too tight, and the legs drill into the sand.

See pic below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7030088_2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	449
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #3

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Good tables but as mentioned, the leg/support system is easy to bend and damage. Also, the table can be difficult to collapse when the sliders are all full of sand. I'd opt for the roll-aways where the legs just screw in.

COUNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008   #4

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
the cheapskate option

I went to Lowe's and bought one of the new folding tables with the plastic tops. Then, I drilled holes on the outside edge for lashing points. I then cut a bunch of cordalette (5mm I think) into 6' pieces and tied a figure 8 loop in the end. I load all the gear into my boat (a cataraft) and then place the table on top and tie it down with the cordalette using a trucker's hitch.
Advantages: Your gear stays nice and tight. With all the cordalette, there is alot of redundency in the system. It's cheap (I probably saved around $100 on the table and the cam straps. There are actually quite a few sizes to choose from (2'x3' is the smallest I've seen). They are super sturdy. The bigger sizes double as a backboard in case you have any spinal injuries on the trip. They're custom. Best of all, you have a sweet disco, party, sundeck for long desert river days.
Disadvantages: They are heavier and more cumbersome. The work great for overnighters and multidays, but you're probably better off with a roll table if you're a daytripper.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #5

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
3/4 plywood, stain to your taste, poly urethane, cut to desired dims, and order banquet style folding legs from granger, northern tool, tractor supply etc....minus your time, you have a badass table that is durable enough to party on, for about 60 bucks. I even cut grab handles all around the edges of some i have built, makes for a wicked good backboard should the need arise, and also gives more options when rigging.
Old 04-22-2008   #6

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks... good beta. We have a roll-away, need a bigger/sturdier table for the kitchen. The homemade styles sound good, the backboard thing isn't something I remembered 'til you mentioned... guess there's a reason why they're plastered all over the banks of the Ark. Unfortunately, no shop space to play in, either- quite possibly a future project. Looks like a Cambridge big deck table is the ticket. Don't want the lightweight ones to blow away or get knocked over by the wrestling dogs- or humans. Cheers!!! -Tyler
Old 05-27-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarbender View Post
3/4 plywood, stain to your taste, poly urethane, cut to desired dims, and order banquet style folding legs from granger, northern tool, tractor supply etc....minus your time, you have a badass table that is durable enough to party on, for about 60 bucks. I even cut grab handles all around the edges of some i have built, makes for a wicked good backboard should the need arise, and also gives more options when rigging.
I made a bomber lightweight table/drop bag lid/passenger seat from 3/8" poly board and table legs from Midg-ett Tables . I found these legs after much searching and they are just the ticket. Lightweight, simple, sturdy and cheap! You will have to call and special order the legs by themselves, but they are great to work with.
gnashingteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
ditto

I did the same thing as above but got a little carried away. Got some marine grade plywood and covered it with resin to make sure it stays water tight. After using it for a couple years for decking the guys at AAA inflatables sold me table legs that attach to the deck and secure with a couple screws. Really simple to put together.

You can make a bomber table for about a 100 bucks.
leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Check out this table - 18x72, blow molded plastic, $76:

Correll Blow Molded Plastic Folding Table 18 x 72

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I got a plastic table like that, and rigged it as a deckboard for a Lodore trip: no problem. That is, my wife sat on it, with a paco pad, ka-boing, ka-boing.

Then we did cookie. Pretty damn good, ya-ta-hey.

Only thing to watch is the sharp edges on the legs and braces, especially on tubes with no top chafe strip. I used old bicycle tires to keep things cool.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote