Camera and photo equipment comments requested - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2009   #1
sam

berkeley, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Camera and photo equipment comments requested

I would appreciate comments about cameras (brand, type) and other photo gear folks have found to be useful, appropriate, a disaster, or excellent for use on multi-day or week long whitewater rafting trips---point and click compact or digital SLR cameras, water resistent or not. Thank you.

sam_yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009   #2

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
We got an Olympus Stylus, 4 megapixel range, at least five years ago. It takes great pix and has been on the river probably 40-50 trips, including some long desert floats like San Juan, Escalante, and Deso.

Still works perfectly with the original battery. Only maintenance has been occasional light cleaning. The auto program mode is good for about 90% of scenes. It's splashproof and water-resistant: I paddled a few thumpers with the camera in my shirt pocket under a PFD. Dabbed off the droplets and started shooting.

If more than one person uses the camera, you can buy extra memory cards to keep your stuff separate.

Before getting the Olympus we burned through two similar Pentax cameras during a year in NZ. Very subject to moisture damage.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #3

most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post

Before getting the Olympus we burned through two similar Pentax cameras during a year in NZ. Very subject to moisture damage.
I bought a pentax optio (w10) I think. Bought an extended warrenty, something I rarely do. Moisture damage killed two of them and they finally just gave me a full refund.

I took the refund and bought a w60 (i'm a slow learner)

they are a good camera. the latch system where you put the battery and card is better now.
Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009   #4

3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I just recently did a TON of research on waterproof cameras. Camera's are a "little" hobby of mine since I have six in the household. I also have a 30 D Canon professional Digital SLR....guess what my favorite camera is? Panasonic Lumix DMC TS1. The ONLY small compact 12 mega pix camera with HIGH DEF.........Amazing....$249. I've had it on the river, water park and around the house and it takes GREAT photos and awesome high def videos.
Sure Olympus has their 6000 and 8000 but don't have HIGH DEF. The 8000 is one of the few cameras that goes to 33 feet, but if your diving that deep then you really should have a dive camera.
My Panasonic DMC TS1 is drop proof to 5 feet and water proof to 10 feet. I figured I don't know too many pools that go deeper than 10 feet deep, not going to be taking pictures deeper than 10 feet in a river, atleast I hope not and any deeper your going to need a professional rig.
GOOGLE the Panasonic DMC TS1 and read the reviews, also the great pricess online at Amazon, eBay etc.
Oh by the way, its amazing to see high def video of underwater shots.....
Email me if you having problems finding a good price on them.
Scotty V.
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #5
sam

berkeley, California
Camera and photo equipment comments requested

Thanks y'all, for this excellent information. It is a great place to start. FYI--I currently use a reliable compact Canon PS SD800IS for outdoor travel and an ancient Pentax SLR as a field camera---at one time a better field camera. I have looked at the Oly Toughs and the Canon D10 waterproof cameras. I will take a look at the Panasonic DMC TS1. Most appreciative, Chip, Syd and Scott.
Old 08-13-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
I have a D40, it is a great camera but I would look at the D60 for an updated camera.
The real question I think you need to answer is whether or not you want to get out of your boat to take pictures or if you want to stay in your boat. For me I think it is worth the effort to get out of your boat to get better shots, but sometimes it takes a lot of time to do.
Another thing to consider is what to use to keep your camera dry, I would suggest getting a watershed bag, they are by far the top of the line and are way better than peli cases
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #7
sam

berkeley, California
What is your experience with the wide angle photo format feature (28mm) of the Lumix DMC TS1? Is it good for landscape photos or insignificant? Thank you.
Old 08-14-2009   #8
sam

berkeley, California
Hello. In/out of boat---prefer both. You are shooting with Nikon SLR's? Do you carry big lenses, too? I've been thinking about it. "Watershed bag"---is that a regular dry bag or special sealed camera dry bag? Thank you.
Old 08-14-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

im pretty sure the lumix you are talking about is what my bro daivd schmitt has and uses in the gorge.im pretty sure its the same model. here's a pic by schmitt of his escalante trip.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #10
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Dpreview did a great comparison of all waterproof P&S cameras:

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

The winner was Panasonic TS1 and Canon D10. Canon for pic quality and construction, Panasonic for lower light and video.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera