Buying a new boat! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2010   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Buying a new boat!

I have decided that I would like to buy a river running/creeker so that I have a play boat and a river runner.

I weigh 150 to 160, and price isn't too limited but of course I want to be resourceful but still get a great boat.

I am looking for a boat that I am going to want to paddle for a very long time and probably continue buying.

Right now I like the Burn, Diesel, Lil Joe, and Remix...

Any hidden advantages/disadvantages I should know about?

Any advocates that have loved these boats?

Right now someone has offered me a Pyranha H3 for a great price.

NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I have a Remix and love it. Wife has a Mamba and loves it. Have you test drove the Mamba?
Old 06-29-2010   #3

Bend, Oregon
No, although that is the only boat the closest shop to me has for demo. I can say that I had a old dagger for my first boat and I loved it. It was 12 years old and wasn't oil canning and didn't have a single gouge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Check out Bob at the Edge in Pueblo. He has Mamba demos. I have a few friends paddling Mambas and they all have great things to say about them.
Old 06-29-2010   #5

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
IMO the one must own boat right now, if buying new, is the JK Villain S. I think I would buy the Elite version for the good plastic and warranty.

This boat should please your creeking and river running needs for years, if not the rest of your life.
Old 06-29-2010   #6

Bend, Oregon
I was considering the villian, but it will be a few years before I get into any serious creeking so I thought the the Hero might be better for me. The edge is where I was talking about, I will be in town tomorrow so I may go run it through the park.
Old 06-30-2010   #7

kayaker
The Remix 69 would be the perfect boat for you. I have paddled one a ton this year and continue to be impressed every time I grab it. SPEED. I see it every day teaching. A faster boat makes a massive difference in learning, manuverng around the river, etc. Also, the softer edge on the Remix makes it very forgiving and allows you to take it on steeper creeks in the future. We have them at Alpine Quest Sports for demo and have a boat in stock for retail. Here was my review on the Remix i put up a week or so ago. Ross Herr Kayaking

hope this helps, AQS' phone number is 970-926-3867
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Watch a lot of creeking videos and many of the Jefes you think you are seeing are Remixs. Look for the Remix logo on the stern. That will gives you an idea of the capabilities of the Remix. Great boat.
Old 06-30-2010   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I've paddled nearly everything accept for the villain. What fits will be more important the way you describe your intentions. These are how I rate the general runners/creekers

1) remix
2) Burn/Diesel/Hero
3) Nomad/Mamba (Nomad is faster but looser due to the displacement style hull)
4) Everything else...

I (personally) hate the Habitat and I rate the #2 group over the Dagger boats mostly for my fit. The diesel gets pushed around in creeks more than the others but it's an excellent river runner and a good learning boat. I didn't put the Jefe up there because I haven't paddled it enough to know how I like it though I'd wager it'd end up right there with the remix.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #10

Bend, Oregon
I am currently planned to demo a Mamba 7.5 tomorrow. Which brings me to a dilemna I am facing. Is it better to be at the top of the range or the bottom of the range.

7.5= 170 Max Weight
8.0= 150 Min Weight

I weight 160 right now.

Tags
boat, creek, river, runner