Burn Sizing (and Shiva info) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2014   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Burn Sizing (and Shiva info)

I am in the market for a new boat, and I'm 90% sure 'Im going to get a new Pyranha Burn. The issue I'm having is regarding sizing. I'm 5 10' and weigh 140lbs, but I plan on putting on some weight over the next few months. I can't decide between a size medium or large. I'm compelled to get the medium because I fall into the weight range, but I have been told many times that more volume is better, especially when paddling bigger water. I paddle mostly III's and IV's but am looking to step up my game within the next few years. On a side note, I'm also interested in the Pyranha Shiva, but don't have much experience with displacement hulled boats. If anyone has any insight regarding my sizing issue, or knows anything about the Shiva, please help me out. Thanks

CB4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
I would say med. I had a large at 160 with a light load and it seemed unwieldy and difficult to turn. Med seems perfect to me.
Old 04-06-2014   #3

Silverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
For what it's worth Canoe & Kayak UKs review said this: "Testing it with a paddler weighing 15Kg above the recommended minimum (medium size) we wouldn’t want to be any closer to the lower limit. The ability to get some weight over the redesigned edges will allow paddlers to really make the most of them."

Full review here: Pyranha Kayaks Burn 3 Whitewater Kayak Review | Reviews | Canoe and Kayak UK Magazine

I'm not quite sure what to make of their statement though, because 15Kg is about 33 lbs, and the weight range for the Burn III Medium as I read it on Pyranha's website is 115-170 lbs. This would mean they wouldn't want to be below 148 lbs, which eliminates the bottom 60% of Pyranha's recommended range. That seems kind of crazy to me (I'm 6' 135#, and I certainly planned on a Medium), but who knows.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Ah, good point, Mine is a Burn II so I am unsure of the changes.
Old 04-06-2014   #5

Ft Collins, Colorado
Check the Pyranha site:

Pyranha Mouldings - Kayaks - BurnIII

I've got a small burn and at 150 lbs think it's perfect. I first got a Medium (same logic - more vol is better) and it was way too much boat for me. I kept running holes I'd normally easily avoid. I'm now in the small and I'm a happy camper.

The Pyranha site shows 150 as slightly heavier than the middle of the size range for the S, and well below the range for a M. Pyranha shows the L range as ~180-260 lbs and I think that's correct. A friend (prob. close to 200 lbs) got a L and traded it for a M.

If you can, try the S & M before buying. If you're still looking when the Poudre comes up, send me a PM and maybe we can go boating and you can try my S. The big boats come with costs - they're heavy, hard to move around on the river, and when you get stuck in a hole you're _really_ stuck. My last trip in the M included a sustained and violent ass-kicking in White Line - my only swim that year.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #6

., Arizona
Medium... I'm 5'10" and 145#'s and the medium feels just right. I put in a decent amount of foam to outfit it correctly but it fits like a glove now while still being comfy. plenty of volume too. I'de say if you plan on pushing 175#'s or more (without gear) maybe start thinking about the large.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #7

Silverton, Oregon
I've wondered about the Small too. Unfortunately, info on the Burn III Small is tough to come by (the Burn III page on the Pyranha site has no Small specs). This size also appears to be the last to drop; CKS has the M and L now, and says they will have XL in early May, but the Small won't be in stock until late June.

And I don't think we can just assume the 2014 S will be the same as the 2010 S because the Mediums are not the same. According to Pyranha, the middle of the weight range on the 2010 M is 175, whereas the 2014 M center is about 145 or even a little lower. By this measure, the new S may be noticeably smaller than the old small. I'm assuming that going from 3 sizes up to 4 sizes has shifted things around a bit.

johng has the 2014 link above, and here is a link to the 2010 model for comparison: Pyranha Mouldings - Kayaks - Burn
Old 04-06-2014   #8

Ft Collins, Colorado
OK - I see what you're saying about 2014 sizing - my bad. I assumed there was a typo on the Pyranha site and the labels should be S, M, L rather than M, L, XL. If their web site is correct, they're apparently adding a new extra-small version to the line, and shifting the other sizes up one size (i.e., the old S is now a M).

I think this change was a mistake on Pyranha's part - it's going to make it really confusing to discuss sizes.

In this case, I agree that the 2014 M (i.e., earlier S) is ideal for someone in the 135-160 lb range.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post
OK - I see what you're saying about 2014 sizing - my bad. I assumed there was a typo on the Pyranha site and the labels should be S, M, L rather than M, L, XL. If their web site is correct, they're apparently adding a new extra-small version to the line, and shifting the other sizes up one size (i.e., the old S is now a M).

I think this change was a mistake on Pyranha's part - it's going to make it really confusing to discuss sizes.

In this case, I agree that the 2014 M (i.e., earlier S) is ideal for someone in the 135-160 lb range.
They will have 4 sizes, S, M, L, and XL. None of the old sizes will have much if any comparison value with the new ones. The medium and larges are avail in the States with the XL coming ? maybe later this month. I think the smalls are a month behind but my info should be double checked.

I'm 6'1" 200# and am looking mainly at the Large but would like to a least sit in the XL before buying. Note, I come from an (old) slalom racer background and like smaller volume boats with edges.

_jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #10

Silverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
They will have 4 sizes, S, M, L, and XL. None of the old sizes will have much if any comparison value with the new ones.
Duct tape seems correct about the difficulty of making comparisons between the old sizes and the new ones. For example, the new Medium has exactly the same volume as the old Small, yet is almost as long as the old Large, weighs almost as much as the old Large, and has about the same width as the old Medium. So yeah, tough to compare.

When I posted last, I mentioned that specs on the new Small weren't available on the Pyranha website. They still aren't, but Pyranha has full page ads out (see last page of current Kayak Session), and they list weight ranges for all four sizes.

Here is the Burn III breakdown so far as I can tell from the ad and the website:
  • Small: 90-130
  • Medium: 115-175
  • Large: 160-215
  • XL: 180-260+

The center of the ranges is thus:
  • S - 110
  • M - 145
  • L - 188
  • XL - 220

So it seems that the new Small is almost a junior/small female boat now, which is kind of crazy when you see the weight range of the old Small was ~95-205 lbs! This all concerns me a little because I'm 135#, so the Small is out, and I wonder if being below the center in the new Medium will pose problems, especially based on the Canoe & Kayak UK comment about light paddlers not being able to take advantage of the edges on the new Burn (see link above). Only future reviews and a possible demo will likely let me know.