Bulb pump for hand washing station - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2009   #1

San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 2009
Bulb pump for hand washing station

I recently ran the Middle Fork with some friends and family and one of the guys had this cool setup for a hand washing station. It included 2 buckets, some plastic tubing, copper pipe, and a black bulb pump (kinda like the ones used on blood pressure pumps). I know where to get all of the rest of the supplies at my local Home Depot but I cannot seem to locate the black bulp pump. Does anyone know where I can find these? My google skills have failed me here.

--David

Dathay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009   #2

Any Marine/marina store has them. Also look at fishing/boating related stores.
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
They also have them at most walmarts in the sporting goods section
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009   #4

San Diego, California
Do they have just the bulb pump or the whole kit? And am I calling the pump by the right name? Am stumped as to why this is such a hard thing to find online.

--David
Old 07-21-2009   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I found a few searching Google shopping for bulb pump:

bulb pump - Google Product Search
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The bulb-pump handwashing station is sweet, but a buddy of mine has a setup that's a very functional, effective, and low tech alternative to the pump system y'all are talking about.

Take a small plastic tub (something like a 32 oz yoghurt container or large, sturdy cup) and put one or two small holes in the bottom on one side. Make the holes small enough so water will trickle from the tub no faster than about a pint or so per minute. Add a little hook at the top on the other side of the tub that'll allow you to hang it on the rim of a 5-gal bucket. Then get two plastic 5-gal buckets and cut away a deep, square slot in one of the buckets so it still holds a couple of gallons, and has about half or 2/3 of the original rim left (basin bucket). Use the uncut bucket as a reservoir for river water and add just enough bleach to the water to kill off germs. To wash your hands, simply scoop some of the water from the reservoir using the small tub, hang it on the rim on the inside of the basin bucket, then stick your hands through the slot and wash them under the water trickling from the tub. Pour what doesn't get used from the tub back into the reservoir bucket so you don't waste the disinfected washwater.

A picture would be worth a thousand words here but hopefully there's enough to get the idea. I like this system because there are no pumps, hoses, clamps, stainless steel tubing, etc.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #7

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
It's an outboard motor fuel primer pump.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #8

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttster View Post
They also have them at most walmarts in the sporting goods section
This is what I use:
Walmart.com: Yamaha Fuel Line Hose Kit: Fishing & Boating
Old 07-22-2009   #9

San Diego, California
You guys ROCK! That Wal-Mart pump looks exactly like what I was talking about. I need to grab one of these. That set up was very easy to use and I think my family could use it on other camping outings as well.
Old 07-22-2009   #10

Longmont, Colorado
We use 2 buckets, one for the reservoir of settled water with (with bleach added) and one that sits on top for the catch basin. Using some carefully drilled holes, you can route the pump inlet hose into the bottom bucket, to the pump, which is fastened to small trex board, and then up to a simple sprayer head that is mounted above the catch bucket. The only problem we have run into is my kids using it to much and having to refill the reservoir.