Budget Boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2014   #1

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
Budget Boat?

Any thoughts or experiences on the intex mariner 4 rafts? Not looking to do any big rivers just mild day to over night flat to maybe class III.

MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014   #2
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
One hole and your sunk
Old 03-27-2014   #3

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I own one, bought it at a garage sale, new in box, for a song. I couldn't imagine paying the $300-$400 they want for one in a store (although it is probably better quality than other boats in that range). I use mine pretty much only on lakes for crappie fishing, or really slow rivers where I don't wanna row my big boats or paddle an IK. It's good for that because it's small and could easily put my trolling motor on it.

Wasn't long before one baffle blew, every once and awhile I'll take it out and it looks like I've taken anti-aircraft fire from below even though I don't even remember rubbing over anything so I carry a hand bilge pump onboard, there is now a slow leak in a in a seam I can't stop.

The roll out slatted floor is nice though...I'd like to see that in other boats. Thats about the only redeemable quality the boat has.

Every time I take it out (which is rare anymore) I prepare for a quick exit to shore.

Now if the boats were $100-$150, then it would be a pretty good deal.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I have one of the smaller ones. The sea hawk 2 and it's a blast at low water on the Animas. We always take it out to save our tailbone during tubing season. Got it for $200 at big 5 about 4 years ago and it's still going strong with a few patches here and there. Run smelter in it up to about 1500 and man is it a blast to surf! Best $20000 I've ever spent really.

Having said that, it doesn't compare to an actual raft. I would never take it on anything I couldn't walk back to my house from if it decoded to sink...
gmmccalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a 9'er with an I-beam floor. I punched out 1 1/4" holes two up front and two in back between the floor and tubes and it works as a self-bailer. The tubes are small so its a wet ride even in class 1 and 2 water. I could see how it might be used for over niters. I'd just make sure that every thing that needed to be dry was in a good dry bag and carry freash tear aide for repaires. The 9'er is way easy to R1 from guides position and you could even go with a cheep fishing cat frame and oars. But the oar set up with the plastic welded oar holder on the tubes is a complete joke. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2014   #6

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I have a 9'er with an I-beam floor. I punched out 1 1/4" holes two up front and two in back between the floor and tubes and it works as a self-bailer. The tubes are small so its a wet ride even in class 1 and 2 water. I could see how it might be used for over niters. I'd just make sure that every thing that needed to be dry was in a good dry bag and carry freash tear aide for repaires. The 9'er is way easy to R1 from guides position and you could even go with a cheep fishing cat frame and oars. But the oar set up with the plastic welded oar holder on the tubes is a complete joke. Good luck.
Thanks for the info do you happen to have any pics were you placed the bailing holes?
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
Thanks for the info do you happen to have any pics were you placed the bailing holes?
Not off hand and Its packed away. But I put them about a foot apart in the bow and stern. I had a savylar IK that had caps in the same place. So, I thought what the hell. I got tired of bailing. I supose that you could go down the whole side like NRS rafts but I was afaird that the plastic would not hold the floor and might rip. I still get a bunch of water in the boat but not like it used to. I'll be back to the shop this weekend and I am planning on getting the gear out so if I can I'll take a pic.