Brand new, need a kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2011   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2011
Brand new, need a kayak

Hey all, I just moved to Seattle and am trying to take advantage of all the water around me. I have some done white water kayaking in the past but mostly recreational stuff.

I want to start learning stuff and would like to go at it alone at the beginning. I am interested in play boats and river playing more than sea kayaks. I will eventually be taking classes before I hit the rivers but for now I want to learn stuff on my own in lake union or lake washington right next to seattle.

any advice will be greatly appreciated. If you think getting a playboat and starting out on my own is a stupid idea, please share your opinion i dont' mind.

cap.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011   #2

SYOTR, Tennessee
Get a second generation star to match your size and find some people to paddle with.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #3

Seattle, Washington
would a 2006 jackson fun be a good choice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
DO NOT go it alone for obvious safety reasons...yes people have died on a flat water lake. If you are learning find someone to help you learn or show you something. Play "B-O-O-F" you know do a trick then they try it and get a letter if you miss etc.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #5

SYOTR, Tennessee
A Fun that is appropriate for your size would be great. Good mix of playboat and river runner
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #6

Seattle, Washington
my choices are between a 2004 dagger kingpin and a 2006 Jackson Fun.

I will make sure the sizes are right once I see the boats.

about going at it alone, is it really dangerous to do stuff by myself on calm waters? I am a good swimmer and in great shape.
Old 09-11-2011   #7

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I learned in a 2006 fun so that would be my choice, it's good enough to get you down river but you can play in it as well. As for going alone, don't do it. My buddy had to pull a guy out of a really small pond and give him CPR this summer and he was an experienced swimmer.
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #8

Columbus, Indiana
Until you can roll, wet exit, and remount your boat by yourself confidently, I REALLY wouldn't go alone on even calm water.

Definitely don't do any whitewater alone.....Ever.

Find some paddlers around your area to help you learn how to properly do the basics.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #9

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
since you're in Seattle, join 'Professor Paddle' at

ProfessorPaddle.com | Whitewater Community
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #10

seattle, Washington
I live in Seattle too- the Waterfront Outdoor Center, Aquasports and both the Washington Kayak Club (WKC) and University Kayak Club (UKC, for UW affiliated folks) have pool sessions, instruction, and regular *safe* trips where you can learn the ropes with lots of back-up. Like the folks here, never white water alone. The UKC has a bunch of boats to use for free, plus warm gear , helmets and paddles so that you can try out what works best for you- Jackson Fun, Burns, Diesel, etc. With the WKC you need to get your own stuff.

Paddling up here means COLD water almost year round. At some point everyone gets a dry suit, but wait on that until you figure out if you are really going to stick with the sport. First order of business is to learn to roll. I can't stress this enough. The video called "The Kayak Roll, Learn, Tune, Teach" by Kent Ford is absolutely fantastic. It is much better to do this in a poool session than Lake Washington and Puget Sound is way too cold for learning in.

Again to emphasize- never boat alone, always wear a pfd and a helmet. I even do that when I'm doing roll practice out in the Lake.

See you on the river
mokelumnekid is offline   Reply With Quote