Mountain Buzz banner

Bow line storage

19K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Dave Frank 
#1 ·
I'm rope storing/tying challenged. I have a bowline bag right now with 50' of 1/2" and I want an easier way to access/retrieve that line when pulling up to shore.

Could those that don't use a bag post up their method with pics if possible.

Thanks,
Rob

#5 ·
50' of bow or stern line is too unweildy. Try 20-25' neatly wrapped and tucked into a mesh rope bag. The base of the tie line runs through a hole in the mesh bag and is tied to your boat how you like it. Clip the zip loop on the bag w/a carabiner to your d ring so it doesn't drag. For long ties, keep a 50'-er at easy reach/access.

#6 ·
I use a 60 foot retired throw bag for a bow and stern line. I lay it under my perimeter line. Reach through the bottom half of the loop and grab the top and pull it through. By being fairly careful and making a smaller loop that doesn't hang down it seems to be fairly safe. I can grab with one hand on the fly ( I have done this before ) and barely break stride.

Don't have pics of it, but it really does work well.

#7 ·
It takes a little time, and you'll usually end up with wet nasty hands, but I daisy-chain my 50+ ft of bowline. That way you have about 1/3 - 1/2 the length(pending on how tight your loops are), and it's easily pulled out to the whole 50 ft with the untie of 1 knot. It doesn't make it take up any less space in your bowline bag, but I find it helps me from having a mess of rope everywhere.

sidenote - if you're a wuss and don't like wet nasty hands, make your passengers do it. It's their "right of passage" to join you on your boat!

#9 ·
What I don’t understand is, is this really a big issue for people? Are you guys attaching the bag end to the boat and pulling it all out? I attach the rope end and just pull the amount out of the bag I need and tie that off. All that ever comes out of the bag is what gets used, I just don’t understand the issue.

#10 ·
I am doing the same as Osprey. I have two d-rings on the bow, one is close to my floor and on is on top of my bow. I attached the end of the rope with a lockable carabiner to the lower d-ring. Then I attach my rope in a bag with another none lockable carabiner to the higher d-ring for easier access. When I pull to shore, I grab the bag and pull out as much as I need rope to the stake. I never unravel the whole bag.

Alex

#12 ·
I'm doing the same as Ospry & kazak4x4 by attaching the non bag end of the rope to the raft and pulling out whatever length I need; 100' on the Grand and 50' on MF size rivers. On the raft end, I use 1" nylon tubular webbing looped through the raft's D rings and tied to the port & starboard sides of the frame leaving a small loop at the bow D ring. Then a locking carabiner is attached to the small web loop at the bow D ring. This transfers the load to the frame and prevents the bow D ring from being torn off and the raft floating away. Also makes for a solid attachment point should I need to set up a Z drag to peel my boat off a rock. Same set up on the stern.

#14 ·
What the ???? A bowline knot with your bowline? AAAAHHHHHGGGG!!!! If I wasn't so tired and pissy after working a very long day...

Coil the fucking rope from the untied end around your elbow (or your neck if that works best) leave about 6 feet before the boat tied off end. Wrap about 4 feet of that AROUND the coiled loops a couple of times. Pull the same slack through the HOLE underneath the hand (Or ignorant neck for that matter) and loop this SINGLE loop over the mass of loops and pull the mass tight. To release, loosen the single loop by sliding it over the mass of loops which is reverse of the last step. It literally takes a fraction of the time to stow, and the same or less time to deploy. Never have I had one come untied in more than 25 years. It takes 5 minutes to perfect it (maybe 10 max).

If you need pics I'll post this weekend. This method has been used forever--and long before artificial, cosmetically enhanced sacks.

#15 ·
What the ???? A bowline knot with your bowline? AAAAHHHHHGGGG!!!! If I wasn't so tired and pissy after working a very long day...

If you need pics I'll post this weekend. This method has been used forever--and long before artificial, cosmetically enhanced sacks.

Hey dude. go boating or something. Or at least go get pissy on someone else. Guy asks for info on something and people are going all wonkers.
He is not talking about Sat....never mind or pins an clips or Galaxy coolers. So what's the problem? cpollema even posted pics.

I know you are pretty confident in your system as am I. And I can guarantee, without a doubt, that I can get my rope out in half the time. Of course if you are drowning worms on a lake somewhere that would not be an issue. Where I regularly receive my ass whippings it's more necessary to be prepared to move very quickly.

#21 ·
OK, I'll play. Actually, when I am paddle boating I use Carve's application. When I am rigged for overnights I use Wild's. Carve's is quick and easy to explain to the crew and is easily found. When I am over nighting I can keep the rope more accessible to me in the center of the boat using Wild's method.

#24 ·
I do neither.... Take the line around whatever I am tying off to, rock, tree, bush, then double the line over and tie a prusik around the standing line. Can throw a biner through the loop and the standing line for security if you want. Then it's easily adjustable.

#28 ·
I actually have one of these for my kayak. It's 15 feet of skinny spectra in a small stuff sack meant for flip lines. I've vet to use it, but it's for tying the boat to shore where it might otherwise get bumped back in. I've seen boats run rapids unmanned by getting bumped out of a pile after scouting.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

#29 ·
Back to the question, other than Osprey who's offered some advice. If you pull some rope out of a bag (leaving the rest inside) then by necessity it's on a bight after wrapping a loop around a rock or tree. So taut line hitch on a night? Seems kind of clumsy and maybe not super secure???

#31 ·
Clip free end to boat.

Take bag to shore anchor. Length is not relevant as long as it reaches said anchor.

Take extra length of rope out of bag. Wrap extra rope abound tree, bush rock or sand stake.

Tie a couple half hitches with the free loop back to the main line. Maybe this is called "on a bite"?

I also keep a prussic loop on the line, down near the bag. This goes back to a Biner on the boat to snug it all up without dealing with the mess up at the anchor.

The whole rope never leaves the bag; mine is over 100' long.

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.