Bottom Crack in LiquidLogic Jefe: how to fix? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2011   #1

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Bottom Crack in LiquidLogic Jefe: how to fix?

I need to fix a crack in a 3 year old LL Jefe Grande (that cost a case of beer.) After scanning the website, I still don't know if the polyethylene is cross-linked or the plain sort. Nor could I find any repair info whatsoever.

I've got a high-power heat gun, a soldering iron, and one of those old ski-base irons on a torch. I guess I need some donor plastic. Anyone know how to best fix this sort of problem?

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011   #2

Your Mom!, Colorado
I think all the LL's are the plain kind, not cross linked.
JeremyTheMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Definitely linear plastic. Helps if you can get plastic from another LL to weld. There was a recent thread on welding boats, search for it. [email protected] posted a video and someone else posted a video from LL.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011   #4

In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Definitely linear plastic. Helps if you can get plastic from another LL to weld. There was a recent thread on welding boats, search for it. [email protected] posted a video and someone else posted a video from LL.
I believe THIS would be the thread you were referring to.
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Just watch out when doing anything severe with that boat again. The crack is likely to just be the first one. I have a Mystic that I cracked a few months ago, and while it's been sitting in my garage new cracks have opened.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #6

. ., Kairotic
If it's possible, have Jack's Plastic Welding fix it.*

I cracked a crosslinked Jackson Rocker a few years ago. It was a 3-4" crack under the seat. Jack's welded a plastic square over the crack that is tougher than the rest of the boat. I've had it down Baker's and Vallecito plenty of times and the patch isn't even scratched.

*Disclaimer: the author of this post is not affiliated with JPW in way, shape, or form and has not recieved endorsements or gifts for this message.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #7

SE, Wyoming
The repair video is in HD format (why?) and my connection is sort of slow. So it's trickling down at the moment.

Would the P-Tex repair sticks, used for filling hacks in ski bases, work with the regular polyethylene? Used to work in a shop and repaired hundreds of ski bases.

Or can donor plastic be trimmed from the inside rim of the cockpit or someplace like that?
Old 07-27-2011   #8

B.F.E., Wyoming
Ptex isnt the same stuff. Get some donor material from the cockpit rim or another boat.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #9

SE, Wyoming
Thanks.

The video is helpful. I might do some finish work to fair the patch to the hull.
Old 07-27-2011   #10

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I did a repair to the nose of my b/f's burn and it came out awesome...get some kayak plastic (same type) and a heat gun or plastic welder if you can get one. Heat both surfaces slowly and get the patch plastic heated to the point where its shiny and almost runny. Then you can press the patch over the repair surface, heat the backside of the patch and it will spread like peanut butter. I actually used a butter knife for this part. Be careful not to leave any cool spots in the boat or the patch, also make sure not to overheat around the repair of you may have to go back and patch a much larger area. Be very patient, get stoned first, and have fun!!
PS that creeker has since run OBJ, upper snake, upper 10 mile, and a bunch of other shallow, rocky runs...the boat has taken many hits to the repair but no signs of cracking etc...some of the gouges over the repair are deep but it has held nicely.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote