boat dilemna-whats a gal to do.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2007   #1

boat dilemna-whats a gal to do....

Hey all. I am in a quandry. I am a 5'5" @150# gal looking for a new boat. I havent been able to hit the perfect boat. I am solid class 4 paddler, looking for a play/river boat... I went from a siren(loved it-take it down anything) which I ran waterfalls and big water in, to a LL Vision 44 last year. The Vision and I didnt meld well, bomber rolls for the first time in 4 yrs became unpredictable, as was the reason for being upside down.

I recognize the Vision was a playboat I was trying to do more with than play in and not designed for big volume rivers at high water. So Im looking for a playful,edgy river boat. I tried the EZG and it was a bit sluggish and safe, tried Jackson Fun series which was a bit big and I felt like I was running flat in all too much. I am leary of the CR 125 since its the same lines as the Vision just more volume.

Any boats that all are raving about? I am not going to be throwing loops anytime soon but like a responsive playful boat. I have a creeker for the stuff that makes me pucker.

Looking for a true boat love...kt

ktkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007   #2

Take a look at the NEW Funs they made some major changes for this year, they should be hitting the local shops soon.
Also look at the smaller Dagger RX.
The CR's are a different boat than the Vision the chine lines are WAY different alot more stable and easier to paddle and don't chatch the edge as eazy.

I would tell you to Demo all 3 after sitting in them to see how they fit.
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #3

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I would suggest trying the Kingpin, ZG, S6, and Project. These are all playboats I have paddled and liked for playing, river-running, big water, edging, etc. (The boat I own is the S6. I've taken it down a lot of big water runs, loop in it, have taken it creeking on occasion. I love it and will take it just about anywhere). You could consider the larger Crazy88, too (though, personally I loved it for playboating, I didn't like it as much for river-running).

COUNT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007   #4

Paddling Since: 1993
At your size and weight you may also want to consider the s/m pyranha 420. I have paddled both the large and small versions of this boat extensively and found it to be a very fun playboat. I took the big one on the middle fork of the salmon last year and surfed my brains out. This boat definitely carves and blunts with the best of them. I also paddled the small one at golden alot and found it to be one of the best balanced playboats for wheels I have ever been in. As a point of reference when I was in these boats I weighed approximately 174lbs. Your weight should be good for the boat but how much fun you have in it would depend on your upper body strength.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #5

I'm also a female paddler, but about 4" taller than you.... and I LOVE my ZG! I have the smaller one, and I have taken it down the Numbers, the Taylor, the Gauley, the Yough, Brown's at high water, etc.... It is stable, but it is small enough I can actually do something with it in a hole. I've loved it at the Salida playpark, and the Gunny one before they destroyed it.... It's easy to roll, too, and it is just long enough that I don't get stern-squirted all the time. My only complaint is I can't bow stall it, but I think that is due to paddler incompetancy, rather than the boat.... It's actually really comfortable, too- I can be in it all day and still feel my legs at the end.
danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Without a doubt try the new Agent 6.0 when it comes out. It is for exactly what you describe and it is the right size as well. All of our gals on the team are moving into it as fast as we can Agents to them. Trust me, wait till you try this boat.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #7

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #8

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
As mentioned above the new 2fun will be a slight bit bigger and tons more playful than before. Not sure what size you used previously, but suffice to say that you will be pumped up on these new ones... It's new design has really taken the greatness of it's river running, and added a playful perspective that has some of our team members saying that they may compete in it on some occasions. Tons of knee room too!

The star series actually got very fast with these new changes also... They are both looking very cool.

Craw
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #9

Thanks.

Thanks. I will have to get some sampling time this spring. Its always hard because boats are such a personal thing.... but these are great leads... Ill know its the one when I meet it.
ktkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote