Boat cover opinions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2013   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Boat cover opinions?

Anyone have any experience with the boat covers from Cascade?

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/in...TOKEN=17195574

Anyone trailer a boat inflated with this on at highway speeds? How does it hold up?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Holy shiite that is a chunk of change. I saw one on a boat being trailered once but have no idea how it held up. It was pretty bomber looking, but I was still skeptical of driving with it on.
Old 06-19-2013   #3

Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, the price is why I'm asking.

I can get a regular boat cover for way less, but worry I couldn't get it tight for inflated transport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
most folks I know use covers while stored, and trailer the boat naked. sure, you might get some funk on it from early season runs or muddy roads, but for the most part, I'm not sure that it is a problem that needs solving.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #5

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
most folks I know use covers while stored, and trailer the boat naked. sure, you might get some funk on it from early season runs or muddy roads, but for the most part, I'm not sure that it is a problem that needs solving.
I never took a picture after my failed trip early this spring, but I ended up on a forestry road covered in wet snow. My raft and cooler and everything on the trailer was so caked in dirt I had to scrub to get everything clean. It was quite the ordeal to deal with, and I'm on roads like that a lot around here.

What I was hoping is that I could store it covered as you describe, but just leave it covered for transport. If that just won't work, I'm OK with a cheap tarp for a cover while not in transport. I'm only willing to consider the expensive option if it serves an extra benefit. I think I might get better mileage and smoother driving with a more aerodynamic load on the trailer, and this isn't possible with just a tarp.
Old 06-20-2013   #6

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Maybe a tarp, then one or two of those bungie cargo nets over the top to contain the tarp? It would deploy quickly and keep things tight. Honestly if my road cakes my gear that much I would consider driving it to the put in deflated and rolled up if its a long haul.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #7

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I bought a decent quality cover designed to go over a pop up camper. Not quite a "custom fit" but it still looks good after 5 or 6 summers outside. Much better than a blue tarp.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #8

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonRafter View Post
Maybe a tarp, then one or two of those bungie cargo nets over the top to contain the tarp? It would deploy quickly and keep things tight. Honestly if my road cakes my gear that much I would consider driving it to the put in deflated and rolled up if its a long haul.
Lol... It was rolled up.

Inflated and covered would have been better, I think.
Old 06-20-2013   #9

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb52 View Post
I bought a decent quality cover designed to go over a pop up camper. Not quite a "custom fit" but it still looks good after 5 or 6 summers outside. Much better than a blue tarp.
Do you trailer the boat inflated with that cover on?
Old 06-20-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
mud flaps? what kind of trailer are you using that gets so much crap on your stuff? is there a mesh floor or something? I use a flatbed snowmobile trailer so there is plywood to block road spray. it seems that if you are getting that much crud on your stuff (even rolled up) something is awry.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote