Boat choice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2014   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Boat choice?

Which would be a better boat for getting into cl 4 creeking: the Nomad or the Tribut Strike? I know ones a hard boat and ones a ducky, but apart from that , the pros and cons in comparision with each other?

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's really a strange question. Do you know how to handle a ducky, and roll/handle a hard shell in class III? If not, then the difference will be your ability to learn. Either boat will do the job just fine if you have the skills...but that said I prefer hard shells and the Nomad is a fine creekboat.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Best option : bomb proof your roll and go hardshell.

Second best option. :go with which ever you have the most confidence and skill in.The main objective is to have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

The main advantages of duckies are ease of transport. / storage and not having to roll.Still., if you are doing creeking you need a good ducky self rescue, by which I mean reentry in rapids not just swimming gear into eddies by yourself. I started in duckies doing overnight self support ducky rafting type runs then got addicted to rapids and started doing river running and light creeking with kayakers.I tried getting into hardshells but could never bomb proof my roll, would do fine in pools but swim too much in current, kept trying -would get three combat rolls in a row at a playspot and think "finally " then the next time I got spanked where it should be easy to roll, I 'd swim and feel like throwing a kayak about a hundred yards.Had a very good /reliable ducky self rescue until I got fat and older and it is more difficult for me.It would be so much easier to just roll well.I didn't 't used to mind swimming class 4 now I kinda 'do and it is inhibiting.

Nomad is an awesome boat wish I had one.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014   #4

Enfield, New Hampshire
Totally agree with 2nd reply.The reason I mention the Nomad is because i am fairly certain I can roll it confidently in 3/4.I had a Trib Strike that I loved, but sold it to get the new Mamba;now although it is remarkably stable in all the 3s I have taken it in it still requires some oomph to roll as compared to a nomad.Hence my quandary: just go back to a strike, or get a nomad or work at my roll in the Mamba??
Boat storage or transport are not issues.
Old 01-06-2014   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
JIMM,
Just curious why you don 't seem to like Thrillseekers? I am an Aire fan but would love to try a Thrillseeker.It seems like most advanced duckiers on the east coast use those including my heroes,the Snyder Bros.

By transport I mainly meant on airplanes.

Good luck whatever you decide.I still do both just wish I could hardshell better stuff.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #6

Enfield, New Hampshire
Expense, I guess. Theres nothing wrong with the T seekers.
Old 01-06-2014   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you can't roll a mamba, I wouldn't jump into class IV without working on my roll regardless of the boat model. If you have good technique and skill you can roll any boat, if you are flailing and barely getting it done you may only be able to roll one model of boat, likely only in favorable situations. My advice would be to work on your roll in the mamba until its bombproof.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Agreed, spend plenty of time in the pool this winter working on solidifying your roll. That will be the biggest hurdle that you need to jump to feel comfortable in harder whitewater. The debate of an inflatable over a hard boat is pretty absurd, yes there are obvious benefits to one versus the other, but it is like comparing apples to walnuts.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote