Blower inverter - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2010   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Blower inverter

I have one of those commercial red blowers (like this one Big Blower Pump). It works great around the house but I would love to be able to use it at the put in. I tried running it off a 300W inverter attached threw a cigarette to a truck but no go. Would a 700W inverter work? Anyone get these to work off a truck?

desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
i wanted to do it to!!!! i have a 400 watt inverter built into the truck and it turns the blower on, gives a half ass effort for 30 seconds or so and then "trips the breaker" and shuts off. i bet a 700 watt would work. let me know how it goes if you get one.
Old 08-31-2010   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
I tried running it off a 300W inverter attached threw a cigarette to a truck but no go. Would a 700W inverter work? Anyone get these to work off a truck?
volts x amps = watts

Big Red Blower = 120 v x 8 amps = 960 watts
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010   #4

I used an 1100 watt inverter for a while but as the blower gets more hours on in the start up resistance increases and you will trip the breaker. I now use a 1500 watt and if works every time. You will need to have battery cables ran to the interior where you will mount the inverter. I think mine are 00 gage. ie bigger is better.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
I use a 1500 W inverter, and a 5 hp shop vac. It blows a 16' 24" cat tube in a minute or two. Seems like most people have shop vacs, but I found my DeWalt one works better than even my higher horsepower Craftsman.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #6

whitewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I use a 1000 watt inverter with "Big Red" and 2-0 welding cables (~2' in length) between battery and inverter. This eliminates voltage drop considerations. I also use a separate deep cycle battery rather than a vehicle battery--has the advantage of being able to put the battery/pump anywhere I want and also not have to worry about draining my truck battery.
geezerboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #7

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
By the time you get a 1200-1500W inverter, 1-0 or 2-0 (good) welding cable, the fittings and such, you might as well purchase an LVM or the like. They run off a car battery and you still have your Big Red for home use.

Sounds like a nickel and dime job just to have the ability to use your AC blower on the road.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Been using a LVM for a long time

and, long as you run this thing off just the battery and let it cool down if it gets hot, mine has been bomber.

my daughter gave me one of those Automobile combo 12 volt power packs several years ago for Christmas and that thing works like a charm for several rafts. This makes a very good combo when you want to blow up the raft a distance from the car or truck.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #9

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscap View Post
By the time you get a 1200-1500W inverter, 1-0 or 2-0 (good) welding cable, the fittings and such, you might as well purchase an LVM or the like. They run off a car battery and you still have your Big Red for home use.

Sounds like a nickel and dime job just to have the ability to use your AC blower on the road.
Agreed - cheaper to just buy a DC blower or even cheaper yet to just suck it up and pump up the raft. That said love the Red Blower at home!
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #10

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
....... even cheaper yet to just suck it up and pump up the raft.
Might want to rethink this portion of your statement.

A good 6" barrel pump can be $150-200. Use anything less, say a $25 special, and your boat-mates will have all of the beverage gone before you even launch if you have to inflate from flat.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote